Question about a tatoo - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Question about a tatoo

Hi I have a question. Why would a cat have a tatoo in its ear and on it belly? Is there anyway to find out whatever the tatoo says, means? Just wondering as I had Macy for a year and just noticed her tatoo on her belly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm....I think that sounds very cruel....a tattoo on a cat??? That's very odd. What does it look like??
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

facing the same direction as the cat the tatoo is in the left ear and i think it says SN or SM. the one on her belly I need light and to shave that spot so i can see it clearly. She is very touchy over her belly and i'm putting two and two together, the tatoo incident probably is what is causing her to be so touchy about her belly. I'll get a good light and magnafying glass and see if i can see the tatoos. i'm really eager to know what they are about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

ok the ear tatoo says SM as for the belly she growled at me so i just let her go.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Cat Addict

Tattoos on pets is not terribly uncommon:

Quote:
Tattooing your cat and dog is another great and permanent way to protect them if they ever get lost. Tattooing dogs and cats has been done routinely since the sixties and is a relatively painless procedure. Normally a number is tattooed on the groin of the pet. That number MUST be listed with a pet registry to be of the highest value. If your pet ever gets lost the tattoo is a great identification marker.You can post a lost and found notice and say your pet has a tattoo. Many shelters will not destroy a tattooed pet, and some will hold it for a longer period of time than a non tattooed pet. It also drastically reduces the chance that your lost pet will end up in an animal research laboratory. The main problem is that on some breeds of dog or cat the tattoo becomes less legible over time. Make sure to get a recommendation for a skilled pet tattooist.

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-64.htm
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 12:36 AM

out here ALL spayed/neutered/vet checked pets are tattoed by the vet
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow771
out here ALL spayed/neutered/vet checked pets are tattoed by the vet
Yeah around here some vets also tattoo cats when they spay/neuter them as a visual reference that they have been.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:18 PM

A vet explained this to me. In the case of female cats in particular, there is really no way of knowing if a cat has been desexed apart from cutting them open to check. A tattoo is done at the time of desexing in order to allow other vets to know whether they have had the prochedure.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM

maybe the cat has a sore stomach for some other reason? would it be a good idea to check it out?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ok thanks. I was just curious about the tatoo. she probably just gotten spayed and had that done to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page