Coworker won't bring her new cat to the vet. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Coworker won't bring her new cat to the vet.

A coworker of mine had been on the hunt for a cat for a while. She had checked the humane society and pet smart but couldn't decide. So some guy friend of hers got this 3/4 persian 1/4 maine coon kitten. It is 3 months old. He spent like $200 or so on him. I think this guy is her sugar daddy or something...really weird situation. Well people kept warning her that cats are expensive....the cat still needs to be neutered and i think it needs it shots. She just picked up a second job and is barely ever home now. So yesterday she comes up to me and tells me her cat has diahrrea. I asked for how long and she said 3 days. I told her she should probably bring the kitty to the vet. she said she couldn't afford it. I doubt she is going to take him. I told her that she may be able to work out a payment plan with the vet or get a Care Credit card and she just ignored me. She said she couldn't call the vet because she doesnt' have a phone in her apartment yet. Well she has a cell phone and its no problem to make local calls from the phone at work. I feel so bad for this kitty. I want to go and catnap him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 PM

Poor thing. Does she know that she can be fined for that on not taking the cat to the vet and let it suffer like that. Ya some vets will let you make payments on the bill, Also is there a spay hospital there and does the spaying cheap? If so she can go there.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:45 PM

Can you anonymously report her to some athority? the humain socicety ect???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:00 AM

There is no excuse. If she has a job she can use her credit card to pay off the vet bill. I don't care if it takes her 2 years to pay it off and the credit card company charges her interest. She can do it. She's just making excuses. Does she have cable TV or any other priveleges that cost money?
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 02:26 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
First of all, I would like to say the the owner must be admonished for failing to provide proper medical care to her furbaby.

However, I strongly believe that calling the authorities on the woman is way out of line. I would like to offer my personal experience as why I think that way. I have no doubt that if people knew how I treated my babies in the beginning, they would think I am a horrible cat owner. However, I would like to offer my testimony to prove that people do change. I certainly am not trying to find excuses for my inexcusable actions. I just want you guys to know that I can see where the lady comes from.

In August 2004, my poor Chester was forcibly taken from me. I was devastated. I suffered depression and considered things that I now regret. I decided that I was going to keep a cat in my life at all costs.

On October 15th, 2004. My roommate and I answered to a "free kitten" AD and visited an apartment filled with five beautiful kittens. I know I could only afford one. I only wanted one, but my roommate had decided that she wanted a black kitten even months before I picked up my kitten, so we took our beautiful Sunshine and Jade home (Sunshine is the white and blonde loverboy, and Jade is the ebony adventurer).

And there came the most difficult and rewarding year in my 22 years.....

I had no idea how much kittens cost. I had never had kittens before. I had no idea that Jade was not properly socialized (though I should have had an idea, considering his previous owner named him Gollum). I didn't know that Jade would chew up my prescription eyeglasses (which is really expensive because I had a prescription of -12/-11. I got mad and stopped talking to the poor baby (which was really stupid of me), and he started urinating on my comforter daily for several months.

My babies were eating Special Kitty canned food and using Special Kitty cat litter. I didn't know any better. I was foolish to think the worst canned food was still better than a premium dry food. Back then I had cable TV and cable internet, so I probably could have more money to spare (I have since canceled both, along with phone service and natural gas).

I was resentful because my roomie (who was otherwise a great roomie) refused to pay her share, and constantly criticized how I raised the kittens even though I seriously did not have money to spare.

I didn't take Sunshine and Jade to the vet when they had diarrhea. I couldn't afford to. I gave them canned pumpkin instead (which seemed to help) They got their rabies shots at four months old but I couldn't manage to get them neutered until they were 7 1/2 months old. I couldn't manage to get FVRCP for them until they were 9 1/2 months old. My fiance had to help me with all of their medical expenses. I did manage to save about $200 for equipments (cat trees and such), but when my aparatment got flooded with sewage and Sunshine got giardia I had to nurse him back to health without going to the vet. I didn't take Jade to the vet when a digit of his front right paw was accidentially amputated. I put antibiotic cream on it and badaged it.

Then Melody came into my life. She was my neighbor's cat who had been hit by the car. He femur was broken. I tried extremely hard to save her, but everytime I saved some money for the vet some family emergency happened. After three months of suffering I had to let her go.

After all that happened, I could not believe myself when I found my three kittens. They were black and five weeks old. I knew if I didn't take them in they would most likely die in a shelter which was overwhelmed with black kittens and did not have the patience with three unweaned kittens. However, I could probably had found homes for them except I didn't try hard enough. Now I have five cats I can't afford. Just because I can't afford them doesn't mean I don't love them.

Cat ownership, like childbearing, has a kind of spontaneity to it. If everybody has to make sure they were prefectly equipped before they decide to try it out, then there would be a lot less cat owners. In the countries where childbearing had to be perfect and imperfect parents were harshily admonished, there had notably been negative population growth for the last ten years.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
First of all, I would like to say the the owner must be admonished for failing to provide proper medical care to her furbaby.

However, I strongly believe that calling the authorities on the woman is way out of line.
I strongly disagree with that.

To me, accepting a living creature into your life involves all the joys and all the responsiblities. From fish, to a cat, to a child, if you are the care giver, you must GIVE proper care.

It may turn out alright in the end, or maybe the cat will never get better, and pass on. Would anyone be surprized if she just went out and answered a newspaper ad and got another cat to endanger?

To me, this applies to anyone who takes responsibility for a living thing. It's even worst in this case considering manitu22 spoke about them paying $$$ for the cat.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Banned

$200 is not that much to pay for a cat, especially considering that her coworker received the cat as a gift. She did not buy the cat herself. She did not order her boyfriend to buy the cat for her. The cat was a gift. Manitu 22 did say that her coworker looked through all the humane societies first. There could be many factors to consider in the situation. Since it is her that wanted a cat and her boyfriend "surprised" her with a kitten from a backyard breeder, the kitten could have been improperly weaned and thus the improper weaning was causing the diarrhea. The boyfriend, not her, was the one who had made the error.

Forcing too much responsibility on a new parent is a dangerous thing to attempt. She was obviously a new parent and she was obviously concerned. She approached Manitu22 because Manitu 22 is an very good expert (don't we all know it ). She was looking for advice and I do not believe it is fair to be punished for it. I love Manitu 22 but she could be a little too harsh sometimes, as it is the case right now. There have been many cases when a person feels helpless with a new baby, be it furbaby or human baby. I know I was extremely overwhelmed with my furbabies when I first got them. I believe society's unrealistic expectations in childbearing is the primary reason why so many furbabies/real babies are abandoned every year. For me, it is much more important that society nurture new parents until the parents, deserving or not, could find a suitable environment for the children....or at least keep their children nurished until a proper home can be found.

The coworker was stupid in taking in too much responsibility at one time. However, we had all been in that situation before (at least I had). We all had taken in helpless furbabies and we know we can never give them as much as they richly deserve. Even in well-to-do families the cat can always use an extra sonogram or another cat tree
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I don't feel I am being too harsh. She was warned ahead of time at work by many people including myself that even though she will be receiving this cat for free that there are many other costs involved when caring for a cat. She could have picked a cat from the humane society or petsmart but she just couldn't decide. Then she saw the add for the persian/maine coon mix cats in the paper and called. They told her how much money it was and it was way too much for her so she went and told her "sugar daddy" how badly she wanted it and he got it for her. I told her that if she got one from the humane society that the neutering/spaying and shotswould at least be included in the cost. She did not have her heart set on a kitten persay. I think just the thought of a fancy expensive kitten sounded nice. She is young and just finally got her own apartment. She is trying to get her feet on the ground and I think she needs to be thinking about herself right now and not trying to care for a small helpless creature. Especially when she isn't giving it the care it currently needs. I don't think I would go as far to report her either but I think she made a mistake.

your situations were different shengmai. You rescued abandoned or hurt animals and were trying to do a good deed. My coworker just wanted a cat for companionship. Unplanned vs. planned are 2 different ball games.

As far as putting too much pressure or having unrealistic expectations about childbearing as far as humans or animals I don't agree really with what you have to say. Sure when I first got my cats I wasn't using premo food or cat litter and I had a lot to learn, but if my cat was sick it went to the vet. I don't make much money now and when I first got my cat I was only making $7.25 per hour. I find a way to get money. If it means taking a bunch of my belongings to the second hand store and getting cash for it I will. If it means putting it on a credit card or taking out another one to afford it I will. I had an appointment to get my wisdom teeth pulled and I had to cancel it because of vet bills in the past few months. Cat ownership is a responsibility. Having a cat to me is having a human child. If you had a human baby that had diahrrea for 3 days you would bring it to the doctor. Diahrrea is no joke. My mom almost died from it a year ago. She has diverticulitus and had a bout of diahrrea that lasted a week...she ended up going into kidney failure and all of this other stuff and almost died. A 3 month old kitten won't last very long either.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

I am sorry about your mother. My sister almost died from the same disease when she was two years old. I know how difficult it is.

I do agree with you that getting a kitten from a humane society is much better than getting a kitten from a breeder. However, I tried in vain to convince my ex-roommate otherwise. People need to learn their mistakes by themselves.

About the "sugar daddy" thing. Is it an isolated incident or was there prior indications of such persistant behavior? My fiance pays half of my costs but in no way is he a "sugar daddy" I have a feeling that you don't approve of this relationship and it is adding on to your frustration of the lack of care in the case of this kitten.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

This guy isn't her boyfriend....he is either an ex...a friend...or a friend with "benefits"...or used to be. I don't really know. I just know he buys her random expensive things at times. I actually have no problem with their relationship, whatever it may happen to be. I am just concerned for the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page