How long does a cat live for???... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

How long does a cat live for???...

I feel like my cat has been around since I'm really young. Im thinking about he is or 17 or 18 yrs old. I think he looks pretty good for his age. I posted his pics just to see if you think the same. He pretty much just lounges and mopes around, and sleeps on my bed all day. He is also very thin. It also seemd as he is getting older he wants more attention. I started to notice that when he jumps to the counter sometimes his back legs will give out. And sometimes **** even miss the jump and not make it @ all. He only has two teeth left and I have no choice but to give him wet food. He tried to chew hard food but it hurts him to much. His jaw and gums get tired. So now I feed him Fancy Feast at least 2 1/2 cans a day. He also has been an outside and inside cat all his life. I was just wondering about how long they do live for?

Thanks
2cats

https://www.catforum.com/photos/showgall ... ppuser=413

Enjoy!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:39 AM

Amazing he lived so long if he's eating Fancy Feast...lol. Sorry -- I had to do it. Don't worry about your cat eating wet food -- if you buy a quality one. (aka not Fancy Feast) Wet food is actually much better nutritionally for cats. I don't see any pics, but your old guy seems content from the sounds of it. As for him missing the jump, that could be for a number of reasons. Some cats simply aren't as graceful as cats are rumored to be. Others have a bit of arthritis, especially at that age, or simply aren't as agile as they used to be. If your cat has had regular vet checks, you feed him good food, and you give him lots of love, then you are doing everything right.

I'd have to say it varies a lot, but the average lifespan of an indoor cat is somewhere around 15-20 years.

PS - I don't see any pictures...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 AM

Like with people each cat is different. People generally tend to live somewhere betweeen 50 and 100 years so I expect cats to live somewhere between 12 and 20 years. There are exceptions of course. There have been some exceptional cats in history that have make world records living into their 30's. Very very rare. Cats older than 20 are considered exceptional but it's becoming more common with veterinary care and cats living indoors. Food? It depends. I've heard of cats living into their 20's on foods like Nine Lives which is considered low quality so it largely depends on the cat's genetics. Fancy Feast? I personally wouldn't want to start my cats on it but I say if you have the kind of cat so finicky that it won't eat anything but Fancy Feast then let it be. She made to 17 on Fancy Feast and for a cat that's old, like 70s or 80s for people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:12 AM

I see the pics now -- he's a handsome fella.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Thank you he follows me everywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page