Im new and I have a few questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Im new and I have a few questions

Hiya guys
My name is Vicky and i live in the north east of England(its freezing at the moment)
Iv just joined the forum as i dont yet have a kitty but getting one really soon but I do have a few questions to ask before my kitty arrives
1. How often should kitty be wormed and a flea treatment used?
2. Do i have to go to the vet for these treatments for can I buy them from the pet shop.
3.Collers and microchipping?I was think of having both on kitty incase he/she becomes lost.How old should a cat be before wearing a coller and how do I check it is fitting ok?
4.What do ppl think about covers litter trays?The one with the de-ouderisers in them?The reason i ask is my mam has a very sensitive nose and smell things I cant
5. Also would it be cruel to keep kitty indoors?
These reason for asking the question is because of the area I live I dont think i would feel safe letting kitty out. There are about 15 other cats in and around my street and also a few dogs that are out and about.Also at the bottom is a taxi office and the drivers drive around like nutters and know of at least 2 cats that have died from being hit.

Sorry about all the question these are the things im not sure on and would like to know the answer before I bring kitty home it has taken my since i was 12 to convince my mam to let me have one(Im 21 in April) so its been a really long wait so want to do everything properly.Still living a home but kitty would be my responsibily so I want to start on the right foot.
Sorry for rambling.
Look forward to your answer and making some friends
Vicky

Vicky and Izzy
'Cats are smarter than dogs.You cant get 8 cats to pull a sled through snow!'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

1. How often should kitty be wormed and a flea treatment used? Mine are indoor and I don't treat them unless I see evidence of fleas. Had my first indoor cat for over 2 years now and he's never had flees even though he sits in open windows.
2. Do i have to go to the vet for these treatments for can I buy them from the pet shop. My mom gets her 3 cats a dose of Advantage from the vets.
3.Collers and microchipping?I was think of having both on kitty incase he/she becomes lost.How old should a cat be before wearing a coller and how do I check it is fitting ok? You can put a collar on right away in my opinion. Might even better to do it right away so it doens't seem so foreign to the cat when you do it later. I'd suggest getting one that breaks away easily incase kitty gets hung up on something. Microshipping is a good idea too. Where I got my most recent cat, at the Humane Society, they automatically microchip all their pets.
4.What do ppl think about covers litter trays?The one with the de-ouderisers in them?The reason i ask is my mam has a very sensitive nose and smell things I cant. Covered litter boxes are fine. I think they are just as purposful as a normal litterbox, if not better. Gives kitty privacy and helps control the smell.
5. Also would it be cruel to keep kitty indoors?
These reason for asking the question is because of the area I live I dont think i would feel safe letting kitty out. There are about 15 other cats in and around my street and also a few dogs that are out and about.Also at the bottom is a taxi office and the drivers drive around like nutters and know of at least 2 cats that have died from being hit. It would not be cruel at all to keep kitty inside at all times, ESPECIALLY given the area you have described. Just make sure kitty has windows to look out of and plenty of toys to play with and it'll be fine!

Feel free to ask more questions as you have them! We have very knowledagble people on this board that are always ready to help others out! Good luck on your kitty search! =)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

hiya thanks for your reply.
Need to save up some money for kitty and a few things first but hope to have kitty by the end of january.I wanted to have the money saved for its first shots aswell which my local vets have advised are £50. I think they said thats for shots at 10 weeks and then the other a few weeks later.
I can then starting putting a bit aside each week to have kitty spayed/neutered asap.
thanks

Vicky and Izzy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

We expect pictures when you get kitty!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Will definatly do pictures.I love showing of my pets.Iv just took some of the two guinea pigs a got a week before christmas(early prezzie of daddy).I also have a white mouse, a tank of tropical fish ,2 tanks with my special tropical fish in and a axolotl(cold water salamander from mexico). Im totally into animals and a kitten would make my life complete.My ex boyfriends mam has 6 and when I stayed at his that cats got more attention than he did.Everytime he got out of bed 5 of the cats would climb in his place and we would all have to move around so that me,him and the 5 cats could get in the bed! Its was great O totally adorded all the attention that cats gave me and they enjoyed being spoilt

Vicky and Izzy

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

You could upload your other pet pics in our cat photo gallery and then post them in the Lounge area! We'd love to see them!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forum!
Usually kittens need to be dewormed at least once when you first get them. After that, it depends on whether they are indoors or not. I would do a yearly physical with a fecal anyway. But please do not use any pet store or over the counter flea or deworming product. They can be quite dangrous for cats and in some cases deadly.
My cats are microchipped even though they don't go out. If you're going to use a collar I would definitely get the breakaway kind. They should generally fit snuggly but not too tight (obviously with a kitten you should check it regularly to make sure it doesn't get too tight as they grow). Rule of thumb is you should be able to put a finger or two through the collar.
Personally I don't like covered boxes because I don't want them breathing in so much dust. But that's just me. If you use one I would make extra sure you use a low dust litter.
As far as keeping your kitty indoors, I don't think it's cruel at all. In fact, from what you discribe of your neighbourhood, it would be the responsible thing to do. As Heather said, just give him lots of toys and a nice spot in the window and he/she will be just fine.
Also, I would keep in mind that kittens have TONS of energy so, if you decide to get one be prepared. They need a lot of time, attention and patience. If you don't think you have that I would consider an older cat.
Ask as many questions as you want! We're all happy to give whatever info we can and it's great that you're trying to find out all you can before you get him/her.
Best of luck with your new kitty!!

Victoria
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

thanks again for your reply.I definatly want to keep my kitty indoors as given my area i would feel so worried about etting it out incase kitty got injured .id never forgiven myself. Time and attention wont be a problem as there are 4 ppl in our house.Id be the person responsible fo kitty but i have 2 younger sisters 9 and 17 and my mam aswell. The reason i would like a kitten is partly because of my younger sister i would like to be able to mould kittens personalty. This kitty will be totally spoilt!!

So just to check when I take kitty for first set of injections should I get kitty wormed and flead then? Then I dont really need to do them again because kitty will be kept indoors.
thanks

Vicky and Izzy

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 01:14 PM

Welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say how happy I am to see that you are trying to learn as much as you can before getting a cat and saving up some money. Good for you!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

hi guys good news theres a lady in the next village who takes in cats to re-home them.Im getting her number of tuesday and going to have a look. Would live a kittn but we are also going to look at an older cat but it must have the right temprement.
Cant wait!

Vicky and Izzy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page