Indoors OK? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Indoors OK?

My wife and I lost are first cat(pepper) in 1991. She was 12 and died of FIP which is a terrible disease. She was and indoor, outdoor cat and I was the one always looking for her at nights.

Our second cat who just died on Dec. 23rd. was mitsie. She was also and indoor,outdoor cat(but mostly oudoord). She loved to chase birds, squirrels, and her favorite was catching chipmunks but not killing them. Just loved to play with them and eventually she would let them go. My question is I'm almost 62 and I worry about our animals if I can't get them in the morniing before I go to work, or when there young and don't want to come inside at night and I'm outside at two in the morning looking for them. It just seems that a cat should have the right to go outside, but I have alot of friends who don't let there cats out at all and they seem perfectly ok inside. Whats you take on this? I really would hate to go through the stress of having to look for a new kitten at night, but also feel guilty about having to keep them inside all theit lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

There's no need to feel guilty about keeping a cat inside so long as you provide good care, a good life, and an interesting, enriching environment. You can do this by catering to a cat's physical and psychological needs. Some examples would be opportunities and places for territory marking, scratching, sleeping, hiding, observing, play hunting and prey catching. Just think of the things that cats like to do and provide indoor substitutes. This means spending a little more time, money and effort, but it's well-documented that indoor-only cats are liver longer, healthier lives.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Jr. Cat

Hello
I dont have my kitten yet but because of the area i live in iv decided to keep him/her inside.I would feel more guilty allowing my cat outside than keeping her in. There are alot of other cats and dogs that roam around my street and also a taxi office at the bottom where they drive like mad.so kittys chances of being hurt are alot higher and id never be able to forgive myself if anything should happy. Like timskitties said cats who are indoor live longer live with less chance of being hurt or catching anythign nasty

Vicky and Izzy
'Cats are smarter than dogs.You cant get 8 cats to pull a sled through snow!'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Cat Addict

Keeping a cat inside is the only way I'll do it. There are just too many things that can go wrong outside. My three have never set a paw outside, and they don't want to. I like it this way.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
my cats are never let outside unless on a harness and a leash.. Granted Tierney would love to be a indoor/outsdoor kitty, But there is no way i would ever let him.
I don't think it's at all cruel to leave the cat in the house, as long as they have room to play and a scratching post.

Good luck!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
Keeping a cat inside is the only way I'll do it. There are just too many things that can go wrong outside. My three have never set a paw outside, and they don't want to. I like it this way.
Agree 100%.

There are just too many dangers outside to trust luck in preventing a problem.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 10:22 PM

You are right about cat has the right to go outside .They do like the outdoor . If I am you , I install a cat door . My cats always go and come home just about the same time.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 10:31 PM

I have 8 cats who live indoors with access to a 10x10 outside run. The main thing when keeping cats inside is to keep them occupied and the best way to do that is a playmate! I'd also suggest that they have some climbing space in the form of a cat tree and somewhere quiet that they can retreat to for when you have visitors or just want some peace. Mine have access to part of the attic which they use, especially if we have children or strange dogs visiting.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 AM

I have 4 cats that are indoor only. I beleive my last cat (who I adopted from a shelter) was an outdoor cat before I got him. Mine all seem to live happy lifes indoors. They have many toys and perchs to look outside.

I would be too worried that something would happen if they were outdoor.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:06 AM

I think cats who live their whole lives indoors are usually just fine with that. The three cats that we've owned have been indoors and they never seemed to long to be outside, though they always enjoyed looking out the window. Our first cat escaped a few times (though she never left the yard) but our most recent two cats are pretty much scared of leaving the house. I think if you don't take them out at all from the time they're a kitten, they're content staying in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page