outdoor cats and bird feeders - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

outdoor cats and bird feeders

As someone who loves both cats and birds and lives in a wooded area, I enjoy having a bird feeder in my yard so I can watch the birds outside. While my cats have always been indoor cats, obviously not everyone keeps their cats inside. This leads to the inevitable problem of cats hunting the birds in my yard.

There is a tremendous lack of education/responsibility on the part of both cat owners and bird feeders when it comes to the number of birds killed by pet cats. Millions of songbirds are killed by pet cats every year, along with feral cats. While the bird people are quick to blame cat owners for letting their cats roam free, people who put bird feeders in their yards are equally to blame for creating such an easy hunting ground for cats.

I was reading another forum where some people were talking about this, and I was very troubled by one person who said they went so far as to capture their neighbor's cats and turn them in to an animal shelter because the cats were hunting in their yard. The owner picked up the cats once and had to pay a fine, but then the person captured the cats a second time and brought them to the shelter again. From what they said, it sounds like the owner hasn't had such an easy time of getting the cats back again. The person who turned them in is hoping someone else will adopt the cats. I find this sickening and think it shows a large amount of selfishness on the part of the bird feeder for essentially stealing the neighbor's cats just so they can watch birds eat in their yard. I don't know if it's a no-kill shelter or not, but I think it's wrong regardless.

How do you feel about this? And for those of you who like to feed the birds and also try to keep cats away from the feeder, what's worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
In Australia it is a major problem, because they kill alot of native wildlife. Thats sparked up a huge amount of cat haters who'll take any chance to cruelly attack cats. Theres a whole lot of different storys i have about that tho.

With what you said about the person caputureing the cat and takeing it to the shelter. Just one of the many things that happen here, on the news they talked about a person who was sick of their neighbors cat so set up a cat trap, put it in a plastic bag and gassed it with the exhaust pipe of their car.

I realy dont know what can be done, but im sure the things done to these cats are just uncalled for.

Sincerely, Krystle.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:53 PM

I think one of the most obvious things you can do is not place a birdfeeder somewhere that has a hiding place for a cat. This often means that you can't put the birdfeeder where you would like to for your own personal enjoyment. I have never really understood the theory that it's a cat problem when humans put birdfeeders to attract birds/squirrels and then the cat kills them. To me it's like leaving unsealed food at a campsite in a bear-infested forest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:57 PM

On a related note, I have no problem with people humanely capturing cats that roam into their yard. The cat has no intrinsic right to roam on a neighbor's property. In fact, quite the opposite. It is the responsibility of the cat owner to make sure that the cat does not intrude upon other people's property if those people do not want it to.

I also really doubt that the neighbor's first course of action was to capture the cat if he is willing to go through the effort of capturing the cat and taking to a shelter. I think it's actually a fairly ethical thing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page