Rembering how to take care of kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Rembering how to take care of kittens

Well my wife and I went ot a pet store today to buy some parts for my fish filter and happened to see two beautiful white and black 12 week old kittens. We both fell in love with them immediately, but since we just lost our Mitsie Dec. 23rd. and have strong feelings for her still, I'm hoping these two kittens will take the hurt away.

I rember when Mitsie was about 10 weeks old and I was 14 years younger and the antics we had to put up with. Climbing of the curtains, chewing of plants(non posiones), jumping from one counter to the other, etc., you all know the storys. My question is since both of our other cats were both indoor,outdoor cats, we would let them out to relieve there bordeum. We have decided(through all your kind answers) to keep these two inside and need some help on what to keep them happy inside. We bought a scratching post with different levels they can climb on, and when it gets warmer will get some window lounges. We both work and I get to come home for lunch where's my wife doesn't so I will see them for about 45 minutes. I leave at 6:00AM whre's my wife leaves at 8:00AM so she'll have some time with them in the morning. When were away, what else can we get them until they get older and calm down?

Also have any of you used those cat runs in your yards? Just wanted to know how you inside cat responded to going out in one of those? I hate to go to all the trouble of keeping our cats inside and then letting them use a cat run whens it warm out and them having them cry to go outside when ever they wanted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 04:31 PM

my inside cats only go out on halters and leashes. they are happy with that and as long as you get the cat used to it as a kitten they are fine with it. whenever they really want to go out they start carrying their halters around because they know thats the only way to get outside
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:51 PM

Congratulations on you new furry family members! Kittens are so much fun. More work for the first year but the extra effort is worth it.

I would keep then inside completely until summer. Then you can decide whether to let them out or not. My 2 cats go outside on my balcony in the summer time. Always with me around to supervise. But when the cold weather came and they were inside only they did cry to go out for the first month.

So you might want to consider not letting them out at all. They can't miss what they have never experienced.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Actually I think they already have the perfect playthings - each other! Nothing keeps a kitty busier than wrestling with another kitty! Congrats on your new babies!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 AM

Kitties love wand toys and catnip toys -- just check out any pet store and you'll find some stuff. Da Bird and the Cat Dancer are big favorites. Just make sure that you don't leave anything with string lying around when you're not there to supervise -- yicky stories about strangulation and intestinal surgeries have come from that. Anyway -- those are good when you are there. When you're away it sounds like you have the perfect toys already -- climbing furniture and as jonsgirl said...each other!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page