friend's cat has fleas-payment help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

friend's cat has fleas-payment help

one of my friend's cats has fleas. she says its a male, 6 years old, very very skinny and "dying". they are thinking of putting him to sleep because none of thepetstore medicines are working. i dont think petstore meds would be good enough...

i found something called care credit http://www.carecredit.com/ which sounds like it might help spread the cost of vet visits out. does anyone here use carecredit? i want to make the vet visit the least expensive it could be, so they would be more willing to go.

also, is frontline a good flea product? its prescription by a vet, right?

are there any other products that work better?

if they refuse to go to the vet's, are there any non-prescription flea treatments that work well?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:49 PM

Carecredit as far as I know is a credit card and I have looked into it too as well. I haven't actually used it but sounds like it would be a good idea in this case. Poor kitty...that is just awful. He definatley needs to be on something other than just "over the counter".
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 PM

You don't need an apointment to get the advantage from the vet. Just stop by and ask for it... It's not prescription from what I understand. My vet has the flea stuff out in their pet store area. You just grab it off the shelf and bring it to the counter and pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Premier Cat

6 years old is NOT at all old for a cat. Do you know why they think he is dying?? It sounds to me like he needs to get to the vet regardless of the fleas. The fleas themselves can cause anemia which can seriously weaken a cat but it IS treatable. They can also talk to the vet and see if they will work out a payment plan. I don't know how credit care works but there are other alternatives if they are tight for cash. 6 years old is still quite a young cat so I really hope they take him to the vet to find out what's going on before they just let him waste away.
And, at least here, you can pick up Advantage at any vet or petstore.

Victoria
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:57 AM
Jr. Cat

"CareCredit" is just a very high interest credit plan made available to clients who do not have money or regular credit cards. If I am remembering correctly the interest rate is upwards of 25%. It certainly looks to me as if they prey on emotional pet owners willing to take any port in a storm. Having those little brochures on the counter is also a fine way for a veterinary office to deflect questions about "paying over time"- the receptionist just points to the brochure.

Anything else would be better IMO- borrow a credit card from a friend, relative etc. In my "poorer" days I also sold various items I owned to pay for veterinary care. Mow a lawn or wash a car- flea treatments are not that expensive.

In my area Advantage and Frontline are available over the counter in pet shops, grooming shops, and any veterinary office.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 AM

Over the counter flea treatments are not as effective as prescribed ones. If the fleas are bad then they won't help much. Your friend needs to go and see the vet to establish what the problem is...if it's something as treatable as fleas then the cost won't be that much at all. If it's anything worse then your friend can probably come to some sort of arangement with her vet regarding pay. Bottom line - get the cat to a vet, regardless of money. She can't make these kinds of decisions without even knowing the cause of her pets illness. Oh and if I was you I'd pick up some pet insurance leaflets for her whilst I was there.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Premier Cat

I used that credit plan when my son needed unexpected oral surgery which was $1200.00 at the oral surgeon. They didnt do credit plans. They offered this.

You have 12 months to pay it off interest free. If you dont have it paid off or are late on a payment they retroactive the interest payments to you. So 12 months 1 day be sure and have all the balance paid off.

You can use it at the Vets or the Dentist, Doctors.

This kitty sounds like it could be treated and on the road to health if it had a vet look at it and tell what it needs. Fleas can be deadly if left untreated.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Banned

Another thing to be considered in addition to getting Frontline, Advantage, or even a prescription fleat treatment is to purchase flea foggers for use throughout the house. After all, there are probably plenty of fleas in the home that are not on the cat. Getting rid of fleas effectively means the home itself must be treated to kill any fleas in the carpeting, etc.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

these people have two cats, the sick one, and another one that is doing fine, they say.

we will tell them some good vets around here, and if they dont want to pay for it, we will adopt the cat, get it vet treatment, then find it a good loving home.

i worry about the other cat, though. if they have fleas all over.. maybe i will tell them about flea foggers, too.

thanks all
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:01 AM
Premier Cat

Good for you for taking action. I wish you the very best of luck.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page