Please help me wade through this... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Please help me wade through this...

Someone I know peripherally through a dog board wants to shave their longhaired cats. Others think it's ok b/c it's done frequently by groomers I've never in my life heard of this. Am I just out of the loop? Instinctually it seems wrong to me b/c well, if a longhaired cat was born with their hair long they use their hair for protection or something

Please advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 02:20 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jimmyness
That is really strange, ive never heard of that before =s Their fur is supposed to protect their skin and keep dirt off them aswell as keep them cool by repelling heat.

Sincerely, Krystle.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:53 AM

I think it's okay if it's been really hot out and the cat is overheating due to it's long fur. IF the cat also has such long fur that it is constantly getting in knots it's probably ok too. But if they dont' have a good reason I don't think it should be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Her reasoning is that she doesn't like to clean up after the cat's furballs
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I think it's fine. Some long haired cats have trouble grooming their fur and get bad knots. I took in a stray that had such horrible knots, her skin was growing into the knots. We had to get her completely shaved, except for the tail and head and cheeks and feet. The cat was fine, we just made sure she had alot of blankets to keep warm.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Cat Addict

I have known people with allergies to shave their long-haired cats. It's not that unusual -- almost everytime I buy cat food, I see cats being groomed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 02:47 PM

So long as they take the cat to a groomer who is used to grooming cats I see no problem with it. If they do not have the time to keep the long haired cats groomed, or they get waaay to many knots, it is actually better for the cat to be shaved.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 07:05 PM

It's not an unusual thing to shave long hairs. It is a common practice although many short hair cat owners haven't heard of it. Can be very beneficial for the cat.

- Poopy dingalings: I usually encourage what's called a "sanitary shave" for cats who often have them.
- Overheated cats in summer: a full "lion cut" is great and a *must* for some cats in really hot places so that they're more comfortable.
- Painful matting: For neglectful owners, shaving is also necessary to cut those away.

Soapbox babble:
I do object to those who get a kitty cut simply for convenience. Then what was the point of getting a long haired? Long hair = more combing needed. Although a few people report needing no extra grooming for their cats, but I haven't read many of those.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkitties
- Poopy dingalings: I usually encourage what's called a "sanitary shave" for cats who often have them.
My brother's cat gets those a lot. He makes me clean the cat when it gets really bad. But then he takes me out to dinner.

I need to get him a cat grooming gift certificate for his birthday or something.. how much does that sort of thing cost?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

As the owner of two long-haired cats I guess I just can't believe that someone would put them through the angst of full-body shaving b/c they don't want to clean up after them. And I do think it is, at best, uncomfortable for a cat to be shaved. I know that when we trim one of our cats, who has a hard time keeping clean without some help, she is NOT happy and often we have to do the trimming in shifts due to her discomfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page