I want to but should I ? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I want to but should I ?

The question we all ask.....

Should I get another kitty? well Pete and I are moving at the end of the month to a bigger place. We're a one bedroom apartment just now and moving to a 2 bedroom house. I wanted a house than had an upstairs so the cats could have stairs to play on (sad or what!) We will have anice back garden too which looks onto fields so plenty wildlife for the kitties to watch. Pete plans to build an outdoor play enclosure for the cats so they can enjoy outside but be safe.

Do we get another cat? or two

Millie and Cleveland like each other but aren't glued to each other or spend hours snuggling. They play together with the occasional groom of each other and are roughly the same age. Would a newcomer cause trouble? I would love more cats but worry I'd ruin the nature of the kitties I have. I don't want them being upset.

I know this question has probably been asked a million times. I don't want my heart over ruling my head. ( yeah right !)

If you have several kitties how do you find it? Did introducing new fur babies cause problems?

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 09:53 AM
ZAR
Cool Cat

Yeh go for it if you really want another cat!!!

-HEYHWA
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Banned

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't as long as a proper introduction is done. Wait until right after you move, and bring the new cat in within a few days of being in your new place. Then all cats are new in a new territory. Less likelihood of territorial issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I don't know about in your area, but every Saturday in Petco there are cat foster rescues. Somebody ALWAYS bring in a box full of kittens unscheduled and unannounced when the foster rescues are there so they can give away their kittens (even though cat foster rescues are technically not allowed to pick up kittens at Petco). I got three of my babies because the rescues were overwhelmed with black kittens and none of them wanted the three unweaned kittens in the box. So I just took them home.

Go to Petco one Saturday and just wait. I am pretty sure kittens will come to you shortly
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Jr. Cat

Don't do it! You'll regret it just like I did.

The Original Male Kitten.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 07:21 PM

I was just going to say that, boy, did you pick the wrong forum to ask that, since most of us are incorrigible, and are always cheering for another addition, but then I saw the reply above, so never mind! LOL.

It really does depend on your individual situation, and how tolerant your cats would be to a newcomer. It may work out, or they may hate each other's guts. But one excellent point to put into the pro-addition column is that you're moving to a new place. No one's put territorial dibs anywhere yet, so an addition may not be as traumatic.

How exciting to move to a new (bigger) place! Planned enclosure, even better!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:41 PM

Woah -- I can't see I've ever seen a completely negative response like the one Trevor gave unless the people didn't give a proper introduction. An explanation would help on that one.

Do it if you have the space and the time to do the introductions the right way.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

When I introduced Millie to Cleveland we took it really slowly. Scent swapped blankets, rooms etc. Used Feliway in the main rooms, fed treats at the gaps under doors to both of them, all that sort of stuff. I wouldn't just throw new cats at my kitties and let them get on with it. Poor Clevey hasn't worked out he's a cat yet. He still looks at Millie as a pet

There is a wonderful cat rescue near me and everytime I see the new addditions I want to give them a home.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:25 PM

I say go for it then.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Senior Cat

Go for it! You'll have the space. And you'll have the $$? We all know you have the love to give a new kitty. Sounds like there is no choice here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page