New Foster Mom - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

New Foster Mom

I recently lost my Scarlet, and decided that before I made another permanent committment, it might ease my heart a bit to be a foster mom. I am currently fostering two little black kitties who are SOOO sweet. They are perfect.

My question concerns the little girl. She is naturally less extroverted than the male, but when I took her to a weekly adoption event today, she was a totally different cat. She hissed for the first time that I have heard. She did it when we put her brother back into her cage with her after someone had been holding him. I am not sure why she did this because she is not like that at home. And before I got her (I've only had her for a week) she had been used to living in a large cage with multiple cats and she is used to strange smells.

I am so afraid that she won't be adopted because she did not show her true colors. Any tips for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:37 AM

I have done a lot of fostering for greyhounds and we do "in-home" visits so folks can see the greys in a home environment b/c many greyhounds do not do well in new settings as it's often too stressful for them. In their foster homes, though, they feel free to act like their goofy selves and give the potential owners a clearer indication of what type of pet they can be. Anyway you can do home visits with folks OR set up a room in the stores you are visiting that mimic a home environment?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

It might be that the person who held him has cats at home so that she smelled strange cat on him.

This topic, and your comment about "true colors," brings up an observation that I've made about cats that are "on display" in a public setting and up for adoption: they're NOT displaying their true colors....they're displaying behaviors that are appealing to the people that come to look at them. In other words, they're "putting on a show" in order to get out of their cages (and into a better environment.) I don't think one can judge a cat based on what is observed in a shelter or other adoptive setting. A cat will only show its true personality after it feels comfortable and secure in its surroundings. Which is quite some time AFTER adoption.

In light of that observation, mdmenagerie's comment about "in-home" visits makes a lot of sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page