Should I get Buster a friend? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Should I get Buster a friend?

I work 12 hour shiftwork and I'm not always at my house when I am not working so Buster has nobody to play with. I figure since cats sleep 17 hours a day (what I've heard) he's probably sleeping when I'm gone. He's asleep right now as I type.

I feel a bit guilty leaving him alone in the house by himself for so long but 10 years ago when I got my first two cats Smokey and Bandit (the ones that live at my parent's house) I made sure I got two of them (they are littermates) so they wouldn't get lonely.

But it seems like the are jealous of each other. They are not always together and when I show one more attention than the other they sometimes get into fights. Smokey is the alpha.

When Buster sees one of them he runs to her but they want nothing to do with him. They just hiss. He's probably 9 or 10 months old and has been living with me for 3 months so he hasn't become territorial.

If I didn't have Smokey and Bandit already, I'd get him a playmate of about the same age. Figuring cats don't become territorial until they've lived in a certain place for a couple of years or more.

But I really don't want to take on anymore cats at this moment.

I just wonder if cats prefer to be the "top cat" around the house or they get lonely. Some people would say cats are solitary animals but they do run in packs in the wild.

If any of this makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Tinkerbell used to cry when we'd leave her alone, she was lonely. So we went to the SPCA and got Minnie.

I'm a huge believer in a multiple cat household. I don't think a cat should ever be a single cat.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 PM

I love having a multicat household and so many times I tell people to go for it. But my personal thought for you, at least at this time is, not to, at least not now, as you had said you didn't want to take on any more cats at this time. I think in order to do that a person should really want to. I think there should be excitement and joy when you take in new cat or any pet for that matter. I don't think a person should take another cat out of guilt. Another cat may work great but then again, it may not as there are no guarantees; or it may take a long time for them to adjust and if you really don't want another one at this time things would be much more difficult for you and the cats. I would at least wait and see how you feel later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Premier Cat

MHO is kitties like company. Guidelines for adoption: Only get as many cats as you can love and give vet care for. They are expensive little buggers! But worth every penny! Right now two is my limit with fosters coming thru occasionally!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
MHO is kitties like company. Guidelines for adoption: Only get as many cats as you can love and give vet care for. They are expensive little buggers! But worth every penny! Right now two is my limit with fosters coming thru occasionally!
Well I didn't want to say it but that was sort of my reasoning. I didn't want to sound cheap but more cats equals more vet bills, more food, more cleaning the litter box etc.

I wish my other two cats that live at my parent's house would accept Buster. he wants to buddy with them but they are so old I doubt they will ever get along with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page