Volunteering woes. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Volunteering woes.

I have been volunteering at the humane society for a few months now. I go in once a week for about 3 hours. I do all the grunt work like dishes and laundry. I do a really good job. Especially with the laundry. The past few weeks there has been about 20 loads to do. About 8 loads are ready to be folded. All of the shelves are always messed up. In between loads I re-sort everything so the towls are with the towls, blankets with blankets etc. Well until this past wed. no one had ever really thanked me. I have gone out of my way to introduce myself and be really nice to the people there. Maybe 4 out of the 10 people I constantly see know my name or even acknowledge me. There are a few people that work there that just stand around and chit chat- hunched over the counter-completely ignoring me while I am head deep in dirty laundry. If it weren't for the few that make me feel somewhat welcome I would have trouble staying there. I know I am doing it for the animals but it just would feel better being there if people were more polite and friendly to me. I don't expect any rewards but just occasional acknowledgement would be nice. If I were working there and someone was willing to work for free I would definately introduce myself to them and make them feel welcome and appreciated. I am thinking about adding a second day but I am not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Cool Cat

Kris I know exactly where you're coming from on this one. You're not looking for applause, just a friendly smile or hello or some kind of acknowledgment that you walked into the room. This kind of stuff boils my behind.

Shari
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Premier Cat

I think that is a common problem. Alot of it is
who is running the programs. I had tried to
volunteer for Greyhound rescue in my area
but they were a big clique so now Im at a
small shelter and involved with the cats.
I love it. People are more friendly and
thank each other and pitch in together.
It is fun. No one is an outsider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 PM

Your thoughts are understandable, but i think i can see what's going on.

My guess would be that they get alot of turnover on folks who volunteer, after time after time, perhaps the figure that in a few weeks something will come up and you'll be gone so why bother getting to involved?

That'd be my guess. Doesn't make it right, just a guess.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Your thoughts are understandable, but i think i can see what's going on.

My guess would be that they get alot of turnover on folks who volunteer, after time after time, perhaps the figure that in a few weeks something will come up and you'll be gone so why bother getting to involved?
I thought of the same thing. You are probably right.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Premier Cat

The shelter I volunteer at has alot of turn around since the area is full of retired people. So some are there only certain months of the year.Or travel on and off. But it doesnt stop everyone from knowing each other and expressing appreciation each time we are up there.

I was struck by that when I first started volunteering there how grateful everyone was and friendly. I dont think there is any excuse for bad leadership or poor manners.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Cool Cat

I am sorry you feel underappreciated!!
I am a good worker like you and all we need is a smile and a thank you and that will go a long way. They should be thankful that they don't have to do it. But alas.... people suck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot
........You're not looking for applause, just a friendly smile or hello or some kind of acknowledgment that you walked into the room.......
Just think of the keeties applauding you every time you are there!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page