Teeth Decay - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Teeth Decay

I feel such a bad kitty mum. Cleveland was at the vets tonight for his check up and booster. The vet checked his teeth and said they were showing bad signs of scale. He'd have guessed Cleveland's age at 6 not 2 1/2. I feel so bad. Millie's teeth are fine and I do the exact same things with them both. Then the vet said Cleveland could do with losing weight. I felt as though I had done nothing right. The thing I don't understand is Clevey is the same weight he was last vet trip. Why didn't the vet say something then? This was the fist time I met this vet and I felt as though he was looking at me as if I was the most idiotic cat owner out.

Sorry for moaning. I was just so ashamed of myself that his teeth were needing to be cleaned by the vet.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Cool Cat

Mine where close to 6 when they got their's cleaned, so you'll beat me.

If this is the first you met the Vet, and he did say something of the weight too, he may be doing a good job for the cat and just needs a little better tact when dealing with humans.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Banned

How well a cat's teeth do with aging is as much a product of genetics as it is tooth care. So don't feel too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Cat Addict

I know the feeling Mischka has gingivitis and I need to get her teeth cleaned and she is only three and a half.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:39 PM

We had our Mitsie done when she was 6 and again when she was 13.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

The thing that I don't understand is Clevey was at the vets around 3 months ago and his teeth were fine. How can this happen so quickly. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I know and can do something about it.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Banned

Did I understand this was the first time Clevey saw this vet? Maybe the last vet has a different opinion on when dental work needs to be done; or maybe the last vet didn't even check all that close. It happens.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 AM

I've heard that a cat should have its teeth cleaned yearly. Guess I'm a bad cat mom too, since I don't have it done that often.

Early tooth decay can be a sign of kidney problems. Don't know if the problems cause the tooth decay or vice versa, but it might be worth having the creatinine and bun levels checked.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 AM

The vet is supposed to help you maximize your cat's health, not make you feel guilty. You're being way too hard on yourself.

Did you know that in the old days, before veterinary medicine recognized the importance of dental care, there was no dental care for cats? And that to this day there are old fashioned cat owners who don't believe in dental care for cats because in their day it wasn't even known and this new concept is strange to them. I have cat loving family members who never got their cats teeth cleaned and grossly overfed their cats and only took them to the vet when they were sick and in spite of these common mistakes(although they wouldn't consider them mistakes because in the old days it was correct procedure) their cats lived long and happy lives. They're not bad cat parents just old fashioned folks who never learned any other way in their youth, and generally if people don't learn it in their youth, they don't accept it when they're old. That's just human nature, can't teach an old dog new tricks. But they fed them and loved them and treated them like their children anyway. You should applaud yourself for recognizing the details of what it takes to keep pets healthy, getting your cat's teeth cleaned before it leads to serious gingivitis and periodontal disease, and recognizing when you need to watch your cats weight. Again don't feel bad, lots of housecats have weight and dental issues that need to be addressed and you and your vet are addressing them. If your vet is making you feel guilty instead of giving you the feeling that he's helping you, perhaps that is an issue. You're a great cat mom and you should pat yourself on the back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page