Am I completely crazy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Am I completely crazy?

My husband and I have just booked a vacation of a lifetime - a 14 night cruise to Hawaii. Although I am extremely excited, ever single day I worry about how our two 9 month old cats will be while we are gone. I have a guy we know who will come over once a day to check on food, the litter box, etc. but I am worried that the cats will be wondering where we are, lonely etc. and the worry about them is taking away from my excitement. I have actually toyed with the idea of not going because I don't want my girls to be sad.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Monica

P.S. At Christmas we took them to my mom's house to visit and they did not like toe travelling or being in a strange place AT ALL, so we are set on keeping them at home in their own environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
What about (even in addition to your friend coming over) getting a cat sitter to come in for an hour or so each day to play with them? That way, they are having human interaction, exercise and getting fed etc. Most good sitters will come and visit you before hand to discuss your requirements and also see if the cats take to him or her before you commit yourself. I think it would put your mind at ease to have another cat lover visiting
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:20 AM

You are not strange to be worried at all!

When we travel and have to board dogs and have someone check in on the cats, we are calling constantly to see if everyone is alright.

You are doing the right thing by having someone come in to check on them. They will feel much safer in their own environment!

Just make sure you leave all emergency numbers should the need arise and leave the number of a relative or another friend should something (heaven forbid) happen. Unless you have your cell phones with you, it's very difficult (and expensive) to reach someone on a cruise ship. This way, you know if anything happens, someone you trust can be there to help with vet care and decisions.

Make sense?

And have a wonderful time! I simply enjoy cruises and cannot wait to go on our next one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:26 AM

I am no expert and different people will have different views but here are my thoughts. I personally would rather keep the cats home as I think it is more stressful for most cats to go to a new environment. I catsit now and then for a woman who travels a week or 2 at a time. She has two cats and they seem to do just fine. I go in, do what needs to be done and leave as the they generally just go and hide. I've done this several times for her and each time has been fine. Of course her cats are very happy to see her when she gets back, but I think in the long run it's less stressful. Having someone come in once a day sounds great. Being they are still young I would try to cat proof as much as you can, leave safe things for them to play with, maybe leave a few pieces of clothing/blankets with your smell and having a radio on is nice too. I think your cats will be just fine, especially since you have 2 kitties. They'll probably have a grand old time. You should not feel guilty, don't worry and have a most wonderful time with your husband.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Cool Cat

Are you crazy? Not at all! Of course remember that you are asking this question to a group of people that hang out at a cat messageboard!!

I had to go up north for Christmas and was sooo worried about my cats! I wanted to go but I was worried about them -mostly about Sebastian who has a heart condition and is on meds 3x/day and I couldn't take him with me cuz of the stress. I had a friend of mine who lives right up the street watch them and she did a great job! I checked in daily and to tell you the truth, the hardest and most stressful part, was the time leading up TO the trip!! Once I got up north, I had a peace about it and really would have liked to stay another day!

I think it is a good idea to leave them in their own surroundings.
Will they miss you, of course they will! But they will be FINE! Go..have fun! Take their pics with you if it helps and set them up on your nightstand. Make sure your friend doesn't mind you calling to check in every day. And of course you can always call and say hi to them on your message machine -- just make sure no human is around to hear it!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Cool Cat

going away

Of course you're not crazy, but please don't let it spoil your holiday. It sounds like a fantastic trip!
I've posted elsewhere about our Jimmy's experiences when we were away twice this year. In a nutshell:-
First time - went to a cattery he didn't like, and got quite stressed
Second time - went to a different cattery, settled in fine and did not get at all stressed.
A colleague of mine went on honeymoon last year for 3 weeks - her 2 cats were about the same age as yours. They went to a cattery and were fine - I think it helps when there are 2 of them to keep each other company.
But I agree with the others - its better to leave them at home if you can make suitable arrangements for them. Which it sounds as though you have.
Have a great holiday and try not to fret too much.

seashell
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Premier Cat

We went to Italy for two weeks earlier this year and used a petsitter. I was very worried, as two of ours were 9 mo. kittens at the time. But it worked out great. She sent us e-mails after every visit to let us know things were OK.

I know it's hard! Making sure your house is cat-proofed well before you go will also set your mind at ease.

Have fun!! Sounds like a great trip.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:18 PM

I know how you are feeling as we took a holiday last year and had to hire a cat sitter.I worried about them the whole vacation. When we got back they were fine so now I don't worry. I too took our cats (when we only had 2) for Christmas one year and they hated it. Now I know better that they will be just fine without us!

So start enjoying the though of going away and hire a cat sitter to play with them if it makes you feel better.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

Thanks to everyone who responded to me - I feel better now. You know how dogs can get mad and tear things up? Do cats do that?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM

Re: Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaC
You know how dogs can get mad and tear things up? Do cats do that?
Ok, I am going to have to comment on this. Dogs DON’T get mad or revengeful to their owners or any creature for that matter. People have, for years, due to shows like Lassie and Walt Disney attributed human emotions to dogs. Dogs are intelligent creatures but they don’t have the emotions that humans do and people who think their dogs do are misreading their dog’s intentions. Dogs don’t know right from wrong, they know safe from dangerous. If you dog is being destructive when you are away it's because they have learned that it’s “safe” when you are not home to do what they like to do, such as chewing, and if you are then they are punished. They don’t know that what they are doing is wrong, they just know they will be punished when you catch them. Dogs natural instincts are to eat, chew, bark, defend, chase etc. We humans don’t want dogs doing any of the above so domesticating dogs has been a challenge for years as well as it’s very hard for dogs to understand why these things are not acceptable. Dogs DO have anxiety and fear so if you dog is being destructive while you are out they could have separation anxiety as dogs are pack animals and can feel uncomfortable and anxious when left alone. When they are anxious they use things like chewing to calm themselves or potentially you dog is being destructive because they are bored. But definitely not because they are mad at you.

As for cats, they are not revengeful either, so you have nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page