cat doesn't like to be held - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

cat doesn't like to be held

Two weeks ago we bought 2 new kittens. One was 5-6 months old the other 4 months old. The older one is very affectionate but are little one "Bandit" doesn't like to be petted or held. When you go to pet her she puts her head down like she afraid of your hand. I've heard that cats that are taken from there mother to soon don't tend to be close to humans. Is this true? My wife thinks someone slapped her when she was young. Is there anything we can do to reverse this trend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:15 PM

Just give her time. Two weeks isn't very long to have a cat. Don't force petting on her (holding her down or anything). IF she is within range just put your hand out - let her sniff it, if she doesn't run away reach your hand out and pet her. IF she doesn't like it just try again another day. I find my male kitty is more affectionate than my female too. Are both of yours females? I just think patience is the key here and letting her set the pace.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Cool Cat

One of mine only likes to be patted on the head and if you touch her anywhere else she gets mad.

It's probally a personality trait. Does she still like to cuddle? -mine-when I lay on the couch to watch tv, favorite time for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 PM

One of ours hates being picked up. She will only be striked at her request. Not when we want to . But hey she's lovely and we love her
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 AM

I think cats taken away from their mum too early tend to be a bit more clingy than usual. But like everyone has said, two weeks is not a long time. Be patient with her, and go at her pace, not yours. 4 months is still really young and she's probably just got a bit of growing and figuring out to do yet. You'll be amazed at how much she changes!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Cat Addict

Hear, hear -- I've had Miles Davis for two years now, and he didn't take an interest in sitting with me or cuddling until last week! I think it just hit him one day that sitting on my lap isn't so bad!

So, in answer to your question, I think it just takes time - two weeks isn't long. I bet she is still getting used to her surroundings and her true personality hasn't really come out.

Just curious, but does she hide alot? Is she scared of strangers? Perhaps her mother and/or father was feral?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Her parents were feral cats. Her sister cuddles and likes to be held. As I stated before Bandit doesn't. She will sit with you after awhile but she's still afraid of the hand. I guess time will tell.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:51 PM

Time and patience are the key as people have said. Marcellus was born of a feral mom according to the Humane Society records. He is sweet and loving in his own way. Loves to head butt, rub your face, kitty kisses and to be by you. He abhors being picked up and it seems once a month he'll sit on my lap when I'm at the computer but only for a short time. Some cats just never become cuddle bugs. But I think they change over time and we have to go with the flow of their personalities as we all know, we cannot change cats.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 08:29 PM

i agree-- it just takes some time.

my cat used to hate being held when she was a kitten. but when she was 8-9 months, she started getting more affectionate and wanted tgo be held and petted. so just be patient! and i think kittens in general are not crazy about being held...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page