attacking the dog - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
attacking the dog

In June, we trapped some feral kittens, probably at least 8 weeks old, if not 10 weeks. They took a long while to come around, but they eventually got used to us humans and the dog, a chow mix/mutt. Two of the kittens are nearly identical gray "twins," as we call them, and they're also both very similar in their behavior and personalities. At approximately 9 months, those two (and only those two), when they get too excited from being petted, run over to a specific blanket and nurse/knead on it. Anyway, not the point.

About a week ago, I took my dog to the groomer (me, actually). A bath, light trim, nothing drastic. Now, I don't know if this started After the grooming or I just noticed it then, but one of the gray "twins" began getting very defensive around the dog, hissing and swatting at her if she got too close. Within a day or two, we noticed the OTHER twin doing the same thing, and now it seems as if they're feeding off of each others' craziness, because it's gone beyond being defensive and has become offensive.

If the dog walks into the same room, one of the gray twins is likwly to stalk up to her and swat her. THis becomes a particular problem at feeding time, when they're all gathered in a small area, milling around and waiting for food. Tonight, the poor dog was tagged teamed by the little devils. What gives?

Their siblings have not had any issues with the dog, nor have any of our other cats. At first I thought she might smell funny from the groom, but it's been a week and it's gotten worse instead of better. My poor mutt needs help before she loses a nose.

Anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Nothing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:41 AM

Hmmmm.......

(Hi Amber!)

I'm not sure on this one. Our big male cat, Ace, attacks our dogs if they get too close or if he's in a P.O'd mood. He'll just come up swatting or chase them since he knows they are afraid of him (even the GSDs are terrified of him.....all 12 pounds of him). Since he outweighs the Cresteds, they steer clear as well.

He's a very loving cat and a quick "Ssssssssst" by me usually stops the behavior.

Could you try a squirt gun? You don't want a noise maker like a can of coins since you don't want the dog to think she did anything bad. A can of air works in my house too. Just the sound, I don't have to point it at anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Could they be smelling other strange animals on him? That will some times do it, I understand.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well, my initial thought was that is was the grooming that did it, but the more we think about it, we think it started before that, so the smell of the shampoo or other animals couldn't be the problem.

I hadn't considered a squirt gun. I'd be afraid that squirting the kittens when they attacked the dog would only serve to make them associate the dog with (more) negativity. Maybe that's not the right way to look at it.

Sigh. I don't know. The dog has never liked the cats, although she tolerates them very well. Any time a cat bothers her (they have crushes on her and love to rub on her), she just looks at us in agony, wondering why we must torture her so, and why she just can't eat the little beasts. Poor mutt, and now she's being beaten by them and has to stand there and take it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page