New car, 8 cats -- any advice? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

New car, 8 cats -- any advice?

This year our car lease will be up and we'll be looking at leasing a new vehicle for the next 4 years. Last September we had to evacuate from a hurricane with our 8 cats in the car, and it was not a pleasant experience. Twenty-one hours on the road with 4 cat carriers, 2 of which had to hold 3 cats. They were good-sized, but not for 21 hours, and needless to say we were extremely cramped, even though we were in a 2002 Impala with the rear seats down.

My question is, what would be the best kind of vehicle to have in case we have to do this again? There's only my husband and myself, so normally we wouldn't need a van or other large vehicle, and with the price of gas the way it is, I hate the thought of getting anything larger than a mid-size. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good vehicle, or maybe some advice on how to evacuate more wisely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Premier Cat

My Mom has a 4 door Rav4 and it's great, not too big but a lot of room and good on gas. What about taking the carriers with you when you car shop and see how they fit and how easy they are to load?
I can't really help with evacuation tips as, thankfully, I haven't needed to.

Victoria
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Premier Cat

P.S. I have a 4 runner and I love it! It may be bigger than you want but would certainly be more comfortable on a 21 hour trip. It's a 6 cy. so it isn't too bad on gas.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:53 AM

I have been wanting a Subaru Forester for sooo long. It seems like a good happy medium as far as size goes. I know some people who owned one and they said a few times they just went camping in it. brought it along into the woods and just put the seats down in the back and slept there. So it is definately roomy but not tooo big.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Cat

I feel your pain on this one! This year was the first time I had to evacuate with cats. 16 hours to Baton Rouge was fun! First of all, bless you for taking them all with you. Seeing all those reports about animals left behind from Katrina broke my heart!

I know this isn't about cats, but my friend has a Ford Escape that she was able to fit two large dog carriers in. My mom has the same car and said it's not too bad on gas.

Also, I found as far as evacuation goes, getting them used to the carrier before hand makes it easier. Loki will hate just about any carrier so there was no hope with him, but I was able to find a carrier that Beaux likes so much that he sleeps in it willingly at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 PM

Jeep Commander
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:36 PM

I have a Jeep Liberty and I simply LOVE it!

It's considered a "Cute Ute", meaning it's not a big sport utility vehicle, but it's still a 6 cylinder, which some of the smaller SUVs are only 4 cylinder.

We used to drive up to Cleveland from Columbus (2 1/2 hours) with two German Shepherds and one cat in the back. Everyone traveled fine! But now, since we are up to four dogs and four cats, we have a minivan!

I think the Liberty handles like a car. The turning radius is AMAZING! And it sits very high up. It rides a little rough, like any Jeep does. And I average about 19 miles per gallon. I know.....not great. But not awful, either! But, all my driving is city driving. I only work 5 miles from home and it's stop and go traffic on a main road the entire way. I do much better on the freeway!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Premier Cat

I have a Toyota Forerunner but its a giant gas guzzler.
It would of easily accomadated your cats.
A plus - this car holds its value well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page