Groomer question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Groomer question

I'm fairly new to the this forum and to cat mommy-hood (just adopted my girls in October) and I'm having a heck of a time trimming Storm (gray tabby)'s nails.

I got the vet to do it the first time (when they were in being spayed) and I've been almost completely unable to do it since. Boo cried something fierce (which broke my heart) but I was able to complete all 10 of her front nails and get the Soft Paws on her. But Storm cries, screams, squirms like crazy and the past few attempts has taken to hissing and biting followed by sulking and avoidance

So before this develops into WW III between DH & I (they're scratching at our new couches and he wants them declawed and I totally and completely refuse) I searched the forum for tips and think I'll try a groomer.

Okay, so now to my question For those of you who take your cats to a groomer for this, do any of them apply Soft Paws as well? The Soft Paws are a must for me (b/c of the couches) and I think they're fabulous Boo 's have been on for almost two weeks without a single issue (and she looks so cute with her Christmas colored nails

Anyway, I'll probably call around to a few places and ask, I just want to see if anyone has experience with this to know if I'm asking for a reasonable thing.

thanks!
dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Cat

Re: Groomer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~dawn~
So before this develops into WW III between DH & I (they're scratching at our new couches and he wants them declawed and I totally and completely refuse) I searched the forum for tips and think I'll try a groomer.
I really don't have much help when it comes to groomers, *sorry*. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it, though. Or, if your vet did it before, he might be willing to do it again?

But I wanted to say 'good for you' for standing your ground when it comes to declawing! I would never declaw my babies either; my furniture doesn't really mean that much to me, I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 PM

I don't know if groomers do it but I would imagine vets would. Our vets cut nails for an extra fee, although we don't use it because mine aren't too bad about it.

I would get them a scratching post ASAP and teach them to use it -- that'll get them away from your couches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Cool Cat

The Turbo Scratcher is another good thing for scratching on.

With 2 of you there to handle the cats, you should be able to clip the nails yourselfs. Someone hold the cat in a harness, while the other does the clipping.

I do my 3 cats myself, the trick-go in the bathroom and no one comes out till her nails are done--Cat Daddy Beauty Parlor, get a little hair cut too, especially if your a longhair.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

You could wrap her in a towel
( with head exposed) and have
one person hold her in it and let
one paw out at a time
to clip or put the soft paws on
by the other person.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 01:07 AM

I actually got the soft claws on a feral cat once, I have scars still where she got me the night I ordered them lol. I had hubby hold the cat wrapped in a towel and we let one foot out at a time. The cat couldn't do anything about it. It also didn't take us long. Now, on her, they didn't stay on because of the fuss she'd make just catching her and her holding onto stuff like the carpet when you'd pick her up, but the point was that we DID get them ON!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Premier Cat

A groomer or vet should be able to do both. However, I'm with CatDaddy, you can do it! And, in the long run, it will be so much easier to do it yourself.
It may take some time and patience at first. I only really had trouble with one cat. He was a "stray" when he found me (sucker!) and quite, shall we say, frisky. Basically he scared the heck out of me the first few times I tried to cut his nails. Full on snarling, growling, and lashing out. If he could have taken off my face I have no doubt he would have. It just became the battle of wills. I did have to resort to wrapping him in a towel a couple of times but mostly, even if I could only get one nail at a time, he did not leave that bathroom until all 20 nails were trimmed. Then he would always get his favorite treat. He learned pretty quickly, that he needed to let me cut his nails. Now he just lays on his back like he's at the salon!
If you're unsure just ask the vet or groomer to show you exactly how to do it and where to cut.
Good luck!

Victoria
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 03:43 AM

Re: Groomer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty&Lou
But I wanted to say 'good for you' for standing your ground when it comes to declawing! I would never declaw my babies either; my furniture doesn't really mean that much to me, I guess.
I second that motion
my fiance and I got into ww3 4 & 5 over it and I finally convinced him that just because his cats were when he was young didn't make it right. His mom is a wonderful woman but she was woefully misinformed on the issue.

One small scratching post and a little training and ypu migth be okay without the softpaws. My cats don't scratch anything they're not supposed to (except each other)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:33 AM

I understand having a cat that just won't let you do it. Sheba used to be terrible with cutting nails. She is the most docile cat usually, but when it came to this, we got hissing, biting, scratching, growling--full on psycho kitty. We tried the towel-she fought her way out of it. We tried playing w/her paws to get her used to it--she wouldn't tollerate it. Finally I just called a groomers to ask about prices. $5!! That was all I had to pay--so worth it. When they did it she was a freaking angel!! I was shocked! I tried doing it how they did later, still psycho kitty. But after taking her to the groomers a few times she started to let us do it to her with a ~little~ less resistance. So after spying on their technique and her being a bit more tollerant, we now do it on our own. But it was so worth $5 to go to the groomers and help get her used to this. I say, go to the groomers for a while and then try again on your own holding your cat the way the groomer does. Eventually you should be able to do it on your own.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!! I do have a scratching post (three such things actually) and I can't quite get them to use any of them. Plus, to be honest, I don't really have DH's support on this one, so we fight over the nail trimming too. I think we could do it if he was willing to work with me, but he's not We've come to the realization (after over 10 years together) that we don't always work well together on projects we're both Type A - have to be in charge - kind of people.

Plus, I'm a total sissy when it comes to this, I *hate* to hear Storm cry I might give one more shot at wrapping her in a towel burrito style and putting her between my legs as suggested by one of the previous posts I had read and if that doesn't work, I'll call some groomers and check with the vet on the Soft Paws thing.

And thanks Cat Daddy, I like the beauty parlor thing Boo needs some hair trimming as well on her back legs. Neither of us likes to see *stuff* hanging from back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page