clumping litter - liner 3 10.34%
clumping litter - no liner 18 62.07%
non-clumping litter - liner 4 13.79%
non-clumping litter - no liner 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Litter Box Liners - Yea or Nay?

Wow, I'm on a roll, two posts in a row I'm trying to decide on using litter box liners or not. I bought two of the Petmate Basic Hooded Litter Pans (http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1798) when I got my girls and the "kits" came with a couple litter box liners. I used them the first couple of times, but when I ran out, I tried without the liners.

My objections to the liners is that they didn't fit the boxes well (IMHO) because they're not exactly the same shape and there were "corners" and "folds" that would trap litter, making it really hard to scoop. Plus the girls would scratch through the liners and litter would end up in the box anyway.

My objection to no liner is that pee clumps stick to the sides and bottom of the box.

So looking for input, even if it's "you need to try a different box/liner". And I added poll options for non-clumping litter as well since I personally use clumping litter and I think that might change the answer.

Thanks!
dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Banned

Liners are a pain to deal with, not to mention they get scratched through most of the time. And the one liner I did try long ago had such a strong scent it almost made me gag.

Spray PAM (or similar non-stick cooking spray) on the inside of a clean litterbox and you won't have a problem with sticking clumps.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Cool Cat

I use clumping Swheat Scoop in some boxes and non clumping Feline Pine in the others. I don't use liners in either. I think they are a waste of money cuz my cats are like yours and scratchright through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Spray PAM (or similar non-stick cooking spray) on the inside of a clean litterbox and you won't have a problem with sticking clumps.
That's what I do for the Swheat Scoop boxes. When I worked at PetSmart a customer told me that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:26 PM

I don't use them.......I never even wanted to try them!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:20 PM

OK, I'll be different then

I use liners all the time and I prefer to use them. I found one brand which is quite tough and mostly he doesn't scratch through, but I put 2 liners in to make it even stronger. When I have to empty the tray I just pick up the bag and put it in the bin. There might be a tiny bit of urine in the try if there was a scratch in the liner, but it doesn't happen every time and then I just disinfect the tray and clean it.

I don't use clumping litter, I use Catsan crystals.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 PM

Never used a liner in over 40 years. My wife tried one once and the cat scratch right through it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Cat

I use a liner w/ Holly's clumping litter. She's not much of a digger so I don't have that to worry about. You need to get them perfectly aligned or you'll have problems. A size larger than the box needs helps with the fit. I also line the botton w/ a paper grocery sack and plastic trash bag. A habit left over from when my Daisy was still around- just in case.

"A cat's got her own opinion of human beings, she don't say much, but you can tell enough to make you anxious not to hear the whole of it"

Jerome K. Jerome
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone!! I'll have to pick up some PAM and give that a try. Such a simple suggestion!!!

TCW - Do you like Swheat Scoop? I've been using World's Best, but it's not 100% when it comes to containing smells. I like that they're both flushable, maybe I'll try some of the Swheat Scoop.

thanks!
dawn
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:40 AM

I use World's Best (clumping) but no liners. I tried liners years ago and the cats just scratch through them, so they were a waste of time and money. The PAM trick does work well though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 12:44 PM

We use this litter and no liner is needed .

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page