Leash Training? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Leash Training?

Has anyone trained their cat to walk on a leash? I bought a harness for Micah (he really wants to go outside) to try and leash train him. In the clicker training book I have it said to put the harness and leash on the cat and let them get used to it while wearing it around the house. So far he hates the harness. I am leaving it on him so hopefully he'll get used to it and I can take him in the backyard on a leash. Has anyone leash trained their cat - I'd love to hear about your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Cool Cat

Mine do fair on a leash, but it ain't at my pace, we usually just walk around the house and sniff things. I just do it to acclimate them to the door, if they ever get out they could find the way back, in theory.

We also get the leash to go to the Vets' office, once there I take them out of the carrier and let them roam as I follow, but 2/3 are such bad chickens they usually end up trying to hide behind me. I figure it does help get them used to other people and the cats at the office.

So, keep a tight harness, and let them lead is all the experience I have.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

He has adjusted to the harness pretty quickly. He was walking low to the ground for a few minutes but now he is sleeping like a baby and behaving normally.

Tomorrow we might try a short trip to the backyard. It is fenced in and I would always be there supervising him and holding the other end of the leash. We'll see how it goes...

When we are outside he will scratch madly at the door and scream at us from inside. It is so pathetic - I have no choice but try and figure a way to let him out with us supervised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 AM

I tried

my cat will go on the balcony on a leash but as for the great outdoors? NO WAY.

I haven't started with the kitten though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:30 AM

We've been leash-training Peter. We've gone to our local petstore and he likes to walk there. We've also taken him to Petsmart, but we mostly let him ride in the cart. He's pretty good about it, and everyone who sees him LOVES it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I am a demanding cat mommy - or whatever you call it. I took Mike out to the backyard on the leash today. He seemed alright with the harness on but I don't think he understood why I put it on him in the first place so I had to show him the payoff right?

He did great! He was so curious to check out the yard that he forgot he had the leash on. We walked around the backyard for awhile and when I didn't want him to go somewhere and he felt the resistance on the leash he didn't struggle.

Of course it wasn't like walking a dog - more like having an extra hand to make sure he didn't try to bolt off. I plan to take him out every day for a little while and see how far we can progress. Pretty soon I'll be the crazy cat lady who walks her cat around the block!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 10:49 PM

Hooray! That's great. I'm sure after a few more practice sessions he will look forward to putting the leash on and going out for a walk.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Cool Cat

Mine just do like yours, and sniff around the yard mostly. The cars and people scare them too much, so I walk them in the yard.

The neighbors can be careless with their dogs too. I have my cat on a leash, yet right across the street they let there dog roam free.

Just be aware of your neighborhood dogs is what I mean.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Hey - thanks Cat Daddy for your post.

Fortunately and unfortunately we have wild coyotes that roam our streets regularly. Because of that there are no stray dogs or unleashed dogs in our parts - lost and stray dogs are dead dogs after nightfall unfortunately.

Even more reason for me to leash Mike. The coyotes are worse than the dogs. He absolutely cannot sneak off. He got out by accident one day and fortunately we found him within a half hour across the street in the bushes. The coyotes were out that night full force. Now we guard the door with our lives!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:58 PM

All four of my cats have harnesses & leashes -- and they all pretty much walk on them, two better than the other two.

How I taught mine was I put it on them and took them outside...and plopped them on the ground. I let them explore as they were comfortable and encouraged them. Tink and Trixie love exploring, Jazmine and Minnie prefer to just sit around, explore a bit, but mostly just watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page