Cat Forum banner

VPI experience

868 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Kelae 
#1 ·
Well I just got the claims adjustments back from VPI for Quinn's ordeal this past Fall. For the most part I'm pleased. I felt that I would be eligible for about $800 to $850. They have reimbursed me $640. The difference is in the reimbursement for testing. The plan has an allowance for the urinary tract disease testing and a separate allowance for the surgery testing. On the claim form that had the surgery and all it's tests there were also visits and tests from earlier dates. I think those tests should be coming out of the urinary tract allowance. If they put those charges with the urinary tract, that will open up some more available cash in the surgery allowance. The surgery testing is over limit but it would still get me some more of the cash back.

In the long run, I'm happy enough where things stand now because I had to charge about $600 for the surgery so with this payment I'm out of debt, which was the whole idea behind pet insurance in the first place. And the plan has paid for itself several times over so at least I didn't waste any money.

In case anyone's interested, it took them about a month to process my rather lengthy claim.

I'll update over the weekend after I'm able to call and see about having the adjustments regarding testing made. Wish me luck!

Kel

See less See more
#4 ·
I have two cats on the superior plan, no riders or coverage for the regular vet visits and vaccinations. I can budget for the expected expenses so I just got injury/illness coverage. It cost me $312 total for the year and since then I've just been putting $12 a pay into a savings account so that I'll have the money for the renewal next summer.

Kel

#5 ·
I have 8 animals. Four dogs and four cats.

I looked at it and man.......I'd be better off just putting money away each month in case of an emergency.

But Jeremy said that is why we have emergency Credit Cards. We have cards that have nothing on them in case of any pet emergencies. He said you never know when you'll need them. We don't use them at all......so I guess it's a good thing! lol

#6 ·
I got the cheaper coverage at about just under $10 per cat for 2, the older cat had her thyroid problem and probally wouldn't qualify. She was a $600 bill, and that's what promted me to cover the other 2, but the credit card idea isn't bad, but I don't want to run up a bill like that again.

#7 ·
Yeah Allergycat I wouldn't even try to cover that many pets. You're much better off stashing some cash in case of an emergency. That way you pool your money and have it all to use on the pet that needs it rather spreading it across all of them for insurance some of them may never need.

Kel

#9 ·
Ok I just got off the phone with vpi and here's the update:

I feel that two urinalysis and the xray that discovered the stone should be covered under the urinary tract infection testing allowance. The testing that was related to the surgery should be covered under the surgery allowance.

They feel that the xray (and the urinalysis done on the same day) that discoverd the stone should be covered under the surgery testing.

I guess the problem is in the wording of the benefits schedule which lists separate allowances for the procedure, the gas and the testing. Apparently that includes the tests that lead up to discovering the need for the procedure as well as the tests for the actual procedure.

Anyway, I can refile for one of the urinalysis and some meds... about $35 all up.

Interestingly enough I found out that the amounts listed in the benefits schedule are the total they will pay out for the year, not for the incident as I thought. I knew that vpi had a max payout overall for the year but thought that if Quinn had an infection at the beginning of the term, got better and had another one at the end that I would be dealing with the full amounts listed in the schedule each time.

The girl urged me to not refile because I will have nearly exhausted the funds allowed for uti for the year and will have nothing if she gets sick again. I greeted this with silence and then told her I'd take the money now and if she gets sick again I'll pay out of pocket then. The amounts available refresh at the renewal of the policy.

So the end is somewhat satisfactory. I didn't get everything that I thought I should but I did pay off the credit card charge and got about $100 of the cash I paid back. Also I think if it wouldn't have been such a complicated claim I would have been entirely happy. They did exactly as I expected for the vet visits, meds and most of the urinalysis. It only got tricky after the surgery came into play.

Sorry for being so long winded but I occasionally see posts asking about pet insurance and wanted to share my experience.

Kel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.