I need to prove to my vet that she is wrong... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I need to prove to my vet that she is wrong...

and i need your guys' help.

She INSISTS on keeping my cat on Hill's C/D, he's been on it for over 2 years, and i have read an article/post in one of my topic posts but i can't find it right away, that keeping a cat on one prescription food for prolonged periods of time is not very good.... I need her to believe, and hopefully update her way of dealing with dietary issues in cats (and dogs if needed). She is stuck on dry food b/c of his previous urine issues with crystals / stones.. I have discussed changing his diet several times and she doesn't seem interested at all b/c her way is the BEST way.. However, she doesn't come across mean or anything, and i've had people tell me to see another vet.. but right now, she is the best around here. I live in a small town for now and i can't get to a holistic vet b/c of the distance and the stress it'd put on my cat. Anyway... there are actually 2 vets that work in the animal hospital i go too.. and both of them are set on keeping him on c/d.

What i need is some very highly accreditable places with information regarding this issue, wet vs canned and health issues. I have read through the ones on the sticky, and i am going to provide a couple of those to her, but anything you guys can give me to help her see this is a new discovery and may prove to be more beneficial for all pets.

Thanks for anything you come up with! I will be doing research in the mean time as well....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

one more thing i forgot to mention, I did recently switch his diet from c/d to fancy feast canned for now.. i didn't mention i think he has an allergic reaction to something with a mass of inflammation on the back his neck in the skin.. i did the diet change to see if it was his food he may be having a reaction too...

well, if you saw my post from earlier about him, i ended up calling the vet tonight b/c i was worried something was bad wrong w/ my Sugar Pie, so i HAD to explain to her that i changed his diet, so she could be up to date and give me the best advice for tonight. She said i'd need to switch him back to c/d asap... i know she's going to give me a bit of a rough time about changing his diet....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Do DVMs not require continued education requirements yearly for updated information regarding veternarian practices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

this was really interesting.. maybe this will open her mind.

http://www.catnutrition.org/vetletter.html

and this which was a link from there

http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Your vet cannot force you to do anything you do not believe is right. If you want to change your cats diet to something you feel would be better, do it. They're your cats. If your vet cannot understand that, find a vet that is more open to hearing new ideas.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Cat Addict

I would find another vet. This one is clearly not listening to you.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

i agree. now that i've read that again today, i don't even care b/c i am going to a new one today.. however when i posted this one lastnight, i was pretty upset, so just disregard it now.. sorry

the only reason i'd like for to know about wet vs dry is for the sake of other animals she sees..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 AM

I would do what you think is right andthen have a talk with your Vet and if he or she disagrees find another vet
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Cat Addict

I can't offer anything but my experience, My Thai (RIP) was prone to crystals. Before he was 2 he had 3 surgery's to get crystals out and I was running out of $. I was on the verge of taking the bone out to stop the crystals from getting stuck VET recommended I try Hills CD. That did the trick my boy was on CD only for the rest of his life never had another problem and lived to be 12. Best of luck!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Can you just tell her that you feed the Hills c/d? I mean, she is the vet and not the police. She can't possibly monitor what the cats actually eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page