Thinking of getting my cat a companion - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of getting my cat a companion

I have a very sweet little 4-year-old female cat. She spent the first 2-3 years of her life with another cat (male, two years older than her). I work two jobs and am gone a lot, so I'm thinking about getting another cat to keep her company. She's very, very sweet-natured and extremely affectionate, but rather shy around others, so I think she'll probably be fearful at first, but hopefully they'll grow to be friends. She has all of her claws, but doesn't use them. Does anyone have any suggestions as to male vs. female, or kitten vs. adult? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Premier Cat

Twice The Fun!

Well,part of it,I think depends on the breed. Siamese,i.e. can be vey funny about a new brother,or sister. (although some Siamese,can be super-friendly) Also, is your cat spayed? Someone told me a spayed female,and a nuetered male bond quickly. In any case,I'm sure your cat will love having someone to teach the finer art of driving mom nuts...seriously one cat will 'show the ropes' to the other Do not expect the transition to be easy,though!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Cool Cat

It really depends on the cat, but my males are more layed back then my females! Kittens are more rambunctious of course as well. But if you take time introducing them and are patient most any cat will work out.

You could get an older (not necessarily old, just not a kitten) from a rescue organization that knows a little about their personality and how they react with other cats. That might give you a better idea of what to expect. Check out www.petfinder.org - on the left you can choose the specifics. Or you can just go hunting around and find one you fall in love with!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Senior Cat

I had a 4-year-old male (I know you have a female) that I got a companion for. I got a 9-month-old female. They get along great, and did, right from the start.

So I would support getting an older (not kitten) cat. The young ones tend to be a little too energetic for our older, set-in-their-ways kitties!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions! It sounds like I should probably look for a young adult with a sweet, laid-back disposition, just like my little Stella (she is spayed, by the way). I'll let you know what I end up doing!

Lisa
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:07 PM

I think it's a great idea. Our cats all have buddies. When #3 (Jazmine_ came around, she got bullied by the first two (Tink and Minnie). Crystal got #4 (Trixie) and those two became buddies right away. Now we have to gangs of cats. They were definately better with a buddy - someone to clean, chase and play with when we are and aren't there.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EChryst
I think it's a great idea. Our cats all have buddies. When #3 (Jazmine_ came around, she got bullied by the first two (Tink and Minnie). Crystal got #4 (Trixie) and those two became buddies right away. Now we have to gangs of cats. They were definately better with a buddy - someone to clean, chase and play with when we are and aren't there.
Definitely. We had Tink for about 6 months on her own and she used to cry when we'd leave -- we got her Minnie and they're best friends.

I'm a big believer in a multi-cat household.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page