Moving. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Moving.

I'm not quiet sure where to post this at but seeing as most of you know Satan I'd do it here and they'd just move it.

Anyway, we've been informed we are moving into a 4 bedroom house on April 1st. Satan has NEVER lived anywhere but here his whole 3 years of his life. He was a feral baby and still has weird tendencies and is very jumpy. He doesn't like very many people and hides out most of the day in my sister and my room because he hates my step dad lol and only comes out at night when he's gone to bed.

I'm scared of how he's going to react to the move. Any advice? This will be a big change for him because my sister and i will no longer be sharing a room so we figure he's inlove with my sister that her room will be his MAIN aboad. His litter box will be in the bathroom that's going to be attached to her room and all his stuff will be in her room. My room is right next door and I'll sleep with my door open so he can come in and out as he pleases but I'm worried about the initial shock of it all.

What should we do? Set up my sisters room FIRST then bring him over and lock him in there? ...possibly with myself or my sister in the room playing with him to make it easier? Also...he tends to HATE the carrying box and the last time he was in there had a horrible experience because of the groomers and ended up pooing in the box on himself because he was so scared. I'm scared once we get him there he'll be so upset he'll poop on the floor or do something to that extent.

Any ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 06:29 PM

Moved to Cat Chat because it's the most appropriate forum for this question.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
Moved to Cat Chat because it's the most appropriate forum for this question.
oh okie thanks...i figured that or behavior. i just wasn't sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 03:03 AM

I've moved our cats twice. This is the system I've worked out that has worked for us. Put Satan in a secluded place - his carrier or an empty bathroom (at old house) with his litterbox while you are moving the furniture to new house. Satan will be last to leave. Bring Satan over to the new house and again either leave him in his carrier in a quiet place - bathroom etc. with his litterbox. Once you have the new room setup you can release him into that room. Depending on how adverturous he is, he will start exploring the new house at his pace. For one of my cats it took minutes. For the other it took a whole week.

Cats often have accidents in the car - it's just a fact of life. Just try to keep him calm and keep his litterbox with him in both secluded places. The litterbox gives a sense of security and is a good point of reference - a familiar object so to say. Make sure he has water and some food also. He may be too scared to go in search of it if you place it in another room at the new house.

I am sure the move will go fine. He will adjust in time.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat
I've moved our cats twice. This is the system I've worked out that has worked for us. Put Satan in a secluded place - his carrier or an empty bathroom (at old house) with his litterbox while you are moving the furniture to new house. Satan will be last to leave. Bring Satan over to the new house and again either leave him in his carrier in a quiet place - bathroom etc. with his litterbox. Once you have the new room setup you can release him into that room. Depending on how adverturous he is, he will start exploring the new house at his pace. For one of my cats it took minutes. For the other it took a whole week.

Cats often have accidents in the car - it's just a fact of life. Just try to keep him calm and keep his litterbox with him in both secluded places. The litterbox gives a sense of security and is a good point of reference - a familiar object so to say. Make sure he has water and some food also. He may be too scared to go in search of it if you place it in another room at the new house.

I am sure the move will go fine. He will adjust in time.

oh great idea there...thanks. ill show my mom this and see what she thinks. the one thing we have a prob with is...the room he mainly lives in is mine and my sisters...HOW will we clean/move that room out with him in it?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:56 PM

I agree -- when we moved from our old apartment to here, the cats were the last to come over. They had all the furniture here and knew the smells...there were some new ones and some new things to explore, but they were comfortable. They settled right in and were right back in bed with us that night to go to sleep.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Is there a bathroom you can close him into with his litterbox? That or place him in his carrier and put the carrier in a quiet place - like a closet. It is best that he not be around while you are moving boxes and furniture. He won't understand what is going on and it will stress him out. Once the new room is situated you can let him out in that room. The furniture and smells with be the same so it will reassure him. He will be aware that something is different but he figure that out in time. You just want to try and shock him as little as possible.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamesecat
Is there a bathroom you can close him into with his litterbox? That or place him in his carrier and put the carrier in a quiet place - like a closet. It is best that he not be around while you are moving boxes and furniture. He won't understand what is going on and it will stress him out. Once the new room is situated you can let him out in that room. The furniture and smells with be the same so it will reassure him. He will be aware that something is different but he figure that out in time. You just want to try and shock him as little as possible.
yes there is but it's small...does it need to be big? it's a full bathroom and that's where one of his ltiterboxes is but I dun know if he needs room to run or whatever...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
I agree -- when we moved from our old apartment to here, the cats were the last to come over. They had all the furniture here and knew the smells...there were some new ones and some new things to explore, but they were comfortable. They settled right in and were right back in bed with us that night to go to sleep.
aww i hope it goes as smooth with satan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:33 AM

It doesn't need to be big - just separate and as quiet as possible. He won't be in there for so long and cats don't usually mind confined spaces when they are feeling unsure. Just be sure to give him lots of attention when you let him out at the new house. Make him feel reassured and happy (treats don't hurt either ) Then he will associate the new house with treats and good feelings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page