Paraplegic cat in Singapore needs a set of wheels - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Paraplegic cat in Singapore needs a set of wheels

Singapore

This beautiful calico's care-free life was prematurely terminated when a vehicle ran over her.
Her spine broke into two.
She lost the use of the lower half of her body.
She has to drag herself and she is unable to clear her urine and faeces.
Left alone, she would die a slow painful death.
Phyllis decides to take care of her, against all odds.
Three vets consulted have advised that this cat, now called Debbie, be "put to sleep"
as a lot of effort is required to take care of her.
Her bladder needs to be manually pressed at least twice a day.
Her bowel has to be checked to make sure that the faeces are cleared.
Her lower limbs have to be massaged to prevent contractures.
Her skin has to be constantly checked for bed sores.
She will require visits to the vet as complications arise.
She will need a set of wheels to support her lower limbs to let her regain her independence in moving around.

Does anyone know the cost of customizing a set of wheels for Debbie and any good references?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:28 AM

What a sweet girl. Someone else here (was it sentimentalgirl?) had an experience with a cat who had both back legs amputated and now has a set of wheels. If I remember correctly, it went on like a harness and her mother ended up caring for the cat. If I have a minute I will look for that. I don't think it would cost much for the wheels.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Senior Cat

I saw a thing on TV not too long ago about a small dog who was paralyzed in the hind legs. He had a "wheelchair", which was basically a set of wheels strapped to him in place of legs. I wish I could remember where I saw it... Maybe it was on the news?

Have you tried the Internet? I did a search on Google for "dog wheelchair" and a lot of entries came up! I'm sure one of these places could fit one for a cat, or even just get a wheelchair designed for a small dog....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

We have written to http://www.eddieswheels.com/ and awaiting reply on the quote for construction and air freight delivery to Singapore.
Meanwhile we are scouting for someone to construct one locally so that adjustment of the wheels are much easier. It will be very costly to freight the wheels back and forth for adjustment.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Tom Cat

I didn't have much time to look around this site but I did see that it has a directory of pet wheelchair companies. I think the closest one to you was in Australia. I also noticed links for homemade carts. It's mostly dogs on the site but there were one or two pictures of cats and I would imagine you could adapt a small dog wheelchair to a cat.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/dogkart/cartkey.htm

I just noticed they have a discussion board at that site as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page