New Baby Misses her Mom and Littermates - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

New Baby Misses her Mom and Littermates

I feel so bad for Lilly our new kitten. When we got her on Tuesday she had never been away from her mother and littermates. She cried quite a bit on Tuesday night and all day long she looked around my house for them. She was a lot better yesterday until she went to bed. She cried for awhile and finally fell asleep. She was searching again today for them. Gracie my other cat has been trying to console her and it's so cute but we feel bad for her. Our other 2 cats came from a shelter and had been away from their mothers for a bit before we got them and they never cried at all ever. How long does it normally take for them to forget about their mothers and brothers and sisters? She is just barely 8 weeks old but wow is she ever vocal. We just feel bad for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Well, my three little ones came to my house at exactly FIVE weeks old. Pretend to be a cat, and pretty soon you'll have a "baby" who won't leave you alone
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 PM

My only experience with this was with my dog whom I got as a puppy.
For her the worst time was at night. I crate trained her and she would cry and cry. Usually just sticking my fingers in the crate to let her know she wasn't alone was enough.
During the day I just tried to keep her preoccupied with other stuff.
I think it took about a week or so for her to adjust to her new home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 12:26 AM

That lady adopted the kittens out too early, period. There's a lot that kittens miss out on by being taken away that soon. Just think how bad it would have been if you took her advice and took the kitten at 5.5 weeks...

Your cat will get over it in its own time. You just need to be patient and give her lots of love. It's a hard time in her life because she was too young, and there's not really anything else you can do to change that. So just make the best of it. Poor baby. *hugs her*
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
Well, my three little ones came to my house at exactly FIVE weeks old. Pretend to be a cat, and pretty soon you'll have a "baby" who won't leave you alone
I agree. Do things that a mother cat would do. Let her lay on you and feel you breathe. Stroke her gently, like she was being washed. (Sometimes a damp warm washcloth helps with that illusion.)

It sounds like your other kitty is also helping her cope, by adopting her. That should really ease the transition.

I got my Dusty at only about 4-5 weeks old. (He was abandoned.) And I did these things for him. Including letting him sleep on my pillow, wound up in my hair at night. (I guess it was the part of me that was most "cat-like".) Now, 5+ years later, he still thinks that I'm his mama. In fact, just last night, he crawled under the covers with me, curled up, and purred his little heart out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

We are letting her sleep with us and giving her as much love as she wants. She is so sweet and if a cat can have a great sense of humor this one has one. She is so animated and really funny. She was sleeping in my armpit last night as I was on my side, and Gracie was on my right hip sound asleep. I have sciatica problems and I needed to move. So when I moved she whined a bunch of times as if to say "how dare you make me change positions!" Then she looked at me and blurted out a perturbed MEOW! She is really playful too. I just feel bad when she searches the house for her mom. I also feel terrible to crate her during the day when I work. We have an extra large dog crate from the vets that we are using! Hopefully the other cats will be great with her soon so we don't have to confine her and we can let her have free rein of the house with them!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM

I would try to encourage her to bond with your other cats also. Pet them together, play with them together, so the little one will begin to see one as a friend and replacement mom.

Also, can you confine the cats to a kitten-proofed room while you are at work? Maybe with friend some days? When Squirrel had her litter I ended up confining all of them to my bedroom that had been kitten proofed and had a litter box, food, water and tons of toys. I started this about 8 weeks of age and continued until they were about 14 weeks old. They all were very glad to be released when I got home but overall I think they enjoyed having the big room to play in. This would also help the kitten learn to socialize with your existing cats.

Good luck, and don't worry, soon she will adjust and they all will be best buddies.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

The other two cats are loving her so much now. We left them all out today for 5 hours while my husband was out doing errands and I was at work. When he got home he looked in the window before going in and the three of them were playing this tube/ball game together. Gracie my older cat has become her surrogate mom and little Lilly is her constant shadow. It's so nice to see this. Last night we watched tv and the three of them sat with us. When I went upstairs for a bit and then later came down Gracie and Lilly were asleep together on the sofa. Awwwwww
what a darling sight to see! I think she will get better in time. One thing I have noticed is she is not looking and searching the house as much while crying. When she falls asleep on my lap at night she seems to whine a bit as she tries to get a position that is comfortable. It almost seems as she is trying to replicate the position she had with her mom as she noses in on me in different positions while whining a bit. If I get this thick comforter and position it on my lap and around her she seems to feel safer enclosed like this. What a little doll though. We are so enjoying our new baby and so proud of the other two for being so good to her.
Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page