UPDATED: Another Nail Clipping Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

UPDATED: Another Nail Clipping Question

Do you guys trim both the front and back claws at the same time? My sister has her cat declawed in the front (not looking for debate, I'm appalled, but he's been that way for 12 years) and she never clips his back claws....

I've made an appointment for my "active" kitty to go to the groomer and have her nails trimmed (I just can't seem to do it) and I'm just wondering if she needs all four paws, in which case, I need to take my other kitty to have her back ones trimmed (I got her front trimmed and Soft Paws applied).

Thanks!
dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Cool Cat

yep, all four should be done, the back ones can get very sharp too,

and the outer casing can get painfull before it falls away, or so I heard.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:19 AM

I clip all 4 paws' claws on my cats...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:01 PM

I clip all four on my cats, but I've found that I can do the back ones about every other time, they don't seem to grow as fast as the front ones.

Wrapping them in a towel works, and after a bit they get used to it even though they may still fight it and whine.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

I just wanted to post any update for everyone who was so helpful in answers my questions on this thread and the other one I posted.

I took Boo and Storm yesterday to a groomer. It was about a 20 minute ride and Storm was very good about being in the car (she really hasn't reacted well to the trips to the vet). The groomer had another person (I think it was her daughter) hold Storm while she clipped, clipped, clipped and cut all of her nails. Took about 5 minutes and totally put all my efforts to shame Her daughter held her with both arms against her chest and I think that really calmed and comforted Storm to be held like that.

Then I put the glue in the soft paws and handed them to the groomer who just slipped them on. While we were there, she also trimmed Boo's back claws and the whole thing only took about 15 minutes.

It's funny, I called every groomer in our yellow pages. Two never called me back, a few wouldn't do cats (only dogs) and only one other groomer was even willing to try the Soft Paws (although she said she would probably tape Storms paws together with medical tape to put them on ). The women I ended up going to had a really good attitude and even though she wasn't familiar with the Soft Paws she said she'd try anything once.

After seeing how they did it, I think if I can get my husband to help me (without whining at me ) we could probably do it the same way.

So thanks everyone for your advice!

dawn
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Premier Cat

Good kitties. That's great news!

Victoria
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, and good luck on your next try! Let us know how it goes.

Victoria
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Tom Cat

I also hold Tuxie very close to me when I trim her nails plus I talk to her saying she is very good and that nails has to be cut. She behaves for the first few cuts then starts to move. So I'll tell her again that she is good and she won't move again. But when I trim her nails, the edges seems to be sharp.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 06:40 PM

Awesome, glad to see you found someone good!

Ugh, taping her feet together? Not my kitty...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
Ugh, taping her feet together? Not my kitty...
I know!!! With medical tape?!!? That stuff is hard to get off of skin, I can't imagine trying to pull it off her fur!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page