Cat more loveable after mouth surgery??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Cat more loveable after mouth surgery???

Lily got a full dental cleaning and tooth extraction on Thursday. They told me to expect her to be grumpy, sleepy, groggy and have little appetite. She actually wanted to eat immediately when she got home and has been purring more. Actually at a very loud level that I am not used to. she has been rolling around on the ground and being playful. Yesterday she curled up in my lap while I was reading and fell asleep.

She was pretty antisocial when I first got her and she has been making progress as of late but I thought she wouldnt' want to go near me after this surgery. Instead she seems to love me more.

Is it the drugs??? She is on bupronex. Maybe she is just happy to not be at the vet. Maybe there is a slim chance she knows we are trying to do something good for her. I was thinking it was maybe because her mouth feels better to be clean and missing that nasty tooth but I think it is too soon for that. I would think she would still be sore. Her face still looks a little swollen.

Who knows...it's just weird. My boyfriend is a bit shocked too.

Maybe this should be in behavior? Mods - put this wherever you think it should go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:37 AM

I think it's ok here for now. As for how lovable she's been, I imagine she's in LESS pain now than she was before, so that could be the cause. I know I'm grumpy if I'm in a lot of pain, too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:28 AM

When Sasha had her teeth out she became like a different cat altogether. She must have been in huge amounts of pain becuase she was a right grumpy so and so but literally as soon as she had the op she was just like yours - full of super dooper purrs and cuddles and 100% happier

I'm glad it all went ok for Lily though and hope she stays a happy girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:02 PM

I know that I have had tooth pain that made me want to die, maybe Lily just feels great now!

Stephi, did Sasha have to have all her teeth out? My Tiger needs to have his molars pulled and it's really expensive($2,000.) I'm trying to work something out to get him taken care of.

Thanks!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersmom
My Tiger needs to have his molars pulled and it's really expensive($2,000.) I'm trying to work something out to get him taken care of.
Am I understanding this correctly? $2000 for pulling your kitty Tigers molars? That sounds outrageous to me.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:24 PM

Yeah, it sounds outrageous to me too. Tiger is only 18 months old. The Vet said that they have to dig down to get the roots and then sew up the gums, etc. I've tried to call a couple of other vets to see if they will even give me a "guestimate" of what it would cost, and no one will talk to me without a full dental cleaning. Like I want to pay a $120 AGAIN.

I have the x-rays that show that he has 8 cavities (resorptive lesions). I wish I could find a vet that would help lower the cost somehow.
My husband wants to just have Tiger euthanized, but we all really love him. The problem is that we spent $2,000 on MY teeth last year, and my husband just won't pay that for a cat.

Do you have any ideas for me?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Premier Cat

It cost me over $200 to get Mz Tess's teeth cleaned a couple years ago. So your vet sounds more resonable than mine. Heck my son had 4 wisdom teeth pulled. One impacted. He was put under. It only cost us $1200.

Is there anyone else out there that might have ideas of where she could get a reliable second opinion since other vets dont seem to want give out that info!!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:44 PM

Grrrrrr, $2000 to pull two teeth! Can you say RIP OFF!!

I just pulled dental records for 2 of my cats:
Cinder - cleaning & 2 molars extracted - charged $75
Mimi - cleaning & 3 teeth extracted - charged $50
(hmmm, wonder why the price discrepancy )

I would call every vet clinic you possibly can. How about vets in surrounding cities or towns? My cod, there must be someone who's ethical!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

It cost me $480 for the cleaning and pulling of just 1 tooth (resorptive lesion). My vet is on the expensive side and she was put under with blood pressure monitoring etc. $2000 does sound like a lot but maybe it really isn't for 8 teeth with cavities.

I wish I had some advice for you tigersmom. I actually signed up for the CareCredit card to pay for Lily's cleaning. I got a credit limit of 4500! I just got my tax refund and I am going to use part of that to pay off the card immediately. I go in myself in a week and a half to have my wisdom teeth taken out. Luckily I have dental insurance so it should only cost a few hundred.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:52 PM

Something else I just thought of. How about contacting local humane societies and telling them your phlight. They always seem to deal with compassionate vets who cut them a deal when vetting their animals.

Also, I was just wondering how it would be possible for an 18 month old cat to have caries to begin with. That seems quite unbelieveable to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page