My New Kitty isn't Eating... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

My New Kitty isn't Eating...

Hi all,

Would really appreciate your advice. We picked up our new rescue kitty on Monday evening. He's 6 months old and has already been rehomed twice, but seems very calm and not at all scared.

I'm worried about him as he hasn't really eaten anything in the last 48 hours. We bought the same kitten food as he was eating at the rescue centre but he will not touch it. I tried giving him a tiny bit of tuna - he ate a little bit but was sick later on in the day. Obviously he also has fresh water. He's perfectly happy in himself.

He's using his litter tray to pee but he hasn't done *anything else* in there yet.

Can anyone offer any advice - I'm getting worried!

Thanks xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Cool Cat

in danger of getting fatty liver deases from what I read just recently, about 48 hour being the longest a cat should be without food.

I would suggest getting anything you can to temp him into eating until you can get a Vet to check him out, you maybe able to call the rescue and see if they have any advice too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Premier Cat

What's his history from the rescue place? Has he had his shots? Is he neutered? Was he eating there? Is he active/playful at all?
Have you tried plain meat baby food to help "jump start" him? Lamb or beef have been winners for me when needed. You might even try putting a little on his nose so he licks it off.
It is common for a kitty in a new home to not eat right away. He may be more stressed than you think. It may be a good idea to set him up, all cozy, in a quiet room with his food and box and see if he settles in. As for his not doing "anything else" in the box it's probably 'cause he hasn't eaten anything.
If he doesn't eat anything by tomorrow I would bring him in to the vet for a check up. He may not be feeling well and that's why he appears to be calm. 6 mos. olds are usually still pretty frisky. And as CD said, you don't want him to go more than a couple of days without any food.
Good luck!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

He has had his shots but he hasn't been neutered yet. He seems really relaxed - lots of sleeping! When he's awake he's inquisitive and a bit playful - but not that frisky (nor would I be if I hadn't eaten properly for days!) I have tried temping him with different food- and got him to eat a bit of turkey and cheese this morning - he seems to be drinking OK. My OH is at home with him all day and will try hand feeding him, so I'm not as worried now.

The rescue centre said it's probably just the relocation, but that I should take him to the vet (which I will do if he's not right when I get home tonight).

Thanks for the advice.
A xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page