Rehoming cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 11:15 AM

Rehoming cats

I'm in the situation of having to rehome several of my cats. The reason for this is very personal in nature and I don't feel comfortable discussing it in a public forum.

Let me say that the decision to rehome them is heartwrenching and something that I'm not looking forward to.

I'm keeping two of the cats...Sheba & Sayonara.

I think I've found a home for Snickers & Sosa.

I still have to find homes for Simon, Smudge, Soot, and Schilling.

I plan on screening potential adopters to the best of my ability complete with vet references, etc. I plan on insisting that they be kept indoors and asking for updates on them periodically.

The reason that I'm posting this here is that I'm looking for advice on how to go about this from those of you that have gone through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM

It must be hard for you to make this decision. I had to find homes for 3 of Squirrel's kittens and it was very emotional. And they only lived with me for a few months. I placed ads at my vet's office and the online bulletin board at work.

Here's a good piece of advice I received from my vet. Do not give them away for free. You can't imagine all the weirdos you will attract with a "Free to a good home" ad.

Unless you personally know the person, charge a small adoption fee. Even just $25. Something less than the local animal shelters charge but not for free. You can also consider refunding the adoption fee after proof of the cats next vet visit.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Take the time to get really cute pictures of the cats and if possible, include it in any ads you create.

Be patient. Eventually I found a home for the last one quite by accident. I was taking him in for his second set of shots and a lady loved him and said her friend was thinking of getting a second cat. She took a picture of him with her cell phone and the next day the friend called. Houdini went to his new home 2 weeks later.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 08:36 AM

If I can't place them with friends or family then I plan on going through a local humane organization that charges an adoption fee. I've read what "free to a good home" can attract.

I'm really hoping that I can place them all with people I know but I know it will be really tough. I'm dreading it badly and I honestly don't even want to think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by murried2
If I can't place them with friends or family then I plan on going through a local humane organization that charges an adoption fee. I've read what "free to a good home" can attract.

I'm really hoping that I can place them all with people I know but I know it will be really tough. I'm dreading it badly and I honestly don't even want to think about it.
Thats exactly what I was going to suggest The local shelter here will handle an adoption for rehoming kitties, even listing them on their petfinder webpage as being in "foster care". They handle the entire thing like a shelter adoption, with screenings, meetings and the like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page