Hello! Looking for some help please :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Hello! Looking for some help please :)

Hello all,

I've been reading through and searching for a few days now, and I finally figured I'd put my story out there and hope someone could give a few pointers.

My wifey works at a farm, where people often drop off cats for reasons unknown thinking the farm will take care of them. Recently a pretty old cat (guess between 5-9?) was dropped off. The cat is very friendly, but also a little "skittish" and doesn't really go near the other farm cats (which is good because they are a bad influence)

She wants to rescue this cat, and I understand why. I have a few concerns questions I was hoping some people could give their input/suggestions:

1) You figure if someone just dropped the cat off, there could be something wrong with it, behavoiral problem, disease, not house trained, etc. Is there anything anyone can suggest looking for that can help elimiate some of those fears?

2) I'd assume we should take the cat to a vet and get it checked out? Would you do this before taking it into our home? Or can we have it for a few days, see if it's going to work out before spening the money at the vet?

3) We live in a pretty small condo, i am very worried about the smell and litter box. I've seen the citikitty solution where the cat uses the toilet, not sure yet if that's for me. Is it possible to really prevent the smell of having a cat in a small place? Can you give me some pointers?

4) It's pretty obvious that "Norm" was a housecat at one time, is there a reasonable possibility that we'll bring him home and he'll use the little box and a scratch pole and not destroy my little house?

Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 AM

Of course, there are no guarantees with any cat, let alone a cat that has been abandoned. But from what you say, sure sounds he could be a nice kitty. I think the best thing you can do is take the cat to the vet fairly soon. If you have no other animals it seems to me you could take the cat in for a few days and see how it goes. If there are no other animals to contend with I would think that you could get at least a small feel for any serious behavior problems, litter box problems,possible illnesses. Taking the cat to the vet will be big plus in determining the cats health and of course updating it on shots, probably a worming, and whatever else the vet sees appropriate for the cat. As far as the litter box in a small area, with only one cat and a good litter, you really shouldn't have problems if you scoop daily. There are wonderul litters out there and everyone here has their favorites. The type of food makes a big difference too. A high quality cat food makes for much less stink. I would love to hear what you decide! I'm sure others will give you ideas too. Every cat has his little things but there's so much information and ideas to help. There is lots of good information on the forum here not to mention online, the library. There's just oodles of cat information! Do you know if the cat is fixed? "Norm" must be a male. If he's not fixed I personally would be a bit hesitant as he may have some bad spraying habits. Something to think about. You would certainly need to neuter him but an older cat may hold onto some ingrained spraying habits. Sounds like you want a kitty though. I would definitely check "Norm" out but if for some reason he's not a good fit for you think about adopting elsewhere.
Welcome to the forum too!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick repsonse.

Norm is a male, and has been "fixed" so that shouldn't be a problem.

As far as introducing a new cat to a new house, how to you "teach" him where the litter box is and that he should use it? I'm afraid the month or so outside might have made him believe he can "go" whereever he pleases
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Cat Addict

There could be number of reasons why the owner dropped off the cat -- but I wouldn't assume that it was the cat's fault. Most animals are left at shelters because of allergies or the owner is moving and can't take the animal with him/her. The owner could've been embarrassed to drop Norm off at the humane society and thought it would do better fending for itself at a farm. You never know what people are thinking.

If it helps, all three of my cats were strays, and they all learned where the litter box was on the first try -- in two years, none of my cats have had an accident.

And many cat forum members live in small apartments with one or more cats. If the litter box is cleaned regularly, then the smell shouldn't be a problem. I work at home, and I have two litter boxes in my office. I run an air purifier in the room the entire time I'm working, and for the most part, I can't smell anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page