Opinions Please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Opinions Please

Okay, I help with a cat rescue every so often. Yesterday, someone offered me a cat but I can't take him. He's a chocolate siamese neutered male declawed and four years old. He so pretty. I left with a friend to pick him up this morning and came home. One of my neighbors had to give up her two dogs and cat when they moved here because of some miscommunications with the quarantine laws here, she ended up homeing them with family. She wanted to adopt the cat after seeing him, his name is blue. So I said that since I had contacted the rescue about bringing him in, she have to go with me Saturday to sign a contract and make a donation for him, fine with her. So I called the lady at the rescue and let her know about the lady, her signing the contract, and the donation she was willing to make for him. She started yelling at me for like five minutes saying something about not ever calling her again, give the cat to the neighbor, see if she cares, blah blah blah. This is for like five minutes or so on the phone- and after she asked me if I thought he'd be in a good home etc. She just went off on me and I could not get a single word in. I finally hung up on her because I don't have to take it. The lady is very nice who is taking Blue. She's an animal lover and distraight over having to leave her pets behind. She was going to purchase a siamese cat anyway but thought that taking in a homeless one would be better. She's extatic about him... I'm so ticked at the rescue lady. Should I be? Did she go nuts for no reason or what??? I know I was being juvinile for hanging up but I was getting so mad just listening to her. My mouth was hanging open and my face was bright red. I get ticked and I cry and yell so I knew not confronting her would be better. I didn't even know the neighbor wanted a cat until this morning. I knew she was looking for a dog though. I also figured with the rescue lady being ill, she was bit by a cat and needs surgery, it would be difficult for her to bring in another cat, you know? Am I over reacting or is she????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Cat Addict

I can't understand why the rescue lady is mad. Did you say you would take the cat and then found someone else to take him? If the cat is getting a good home, then I don't see why anyone needs to be upset.

I would hang up too if I were you -- and probably contact someone else at the rescue to report the lady.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

The lady owns the rescue, she is the only one there. It's a small home based one. I had called her yesterday to let her know I had a cat for her if she'd take him in. I picked him up and my neighbor spoke to me and wanted to see him... She then said she'd like to adopt him. I felt bad because if I hadn't called the rescue, I wouldn't have felt obligated to ask for a donation for him and have her sign the contract. But since I had called them, I went through their protocall for adoptions, even though the rescue lady had never even laid eyes on him. I'm sure the easiest adoption ever for her, you know. I figured she'd be pleased, but she yelled my ear off instead. And through out insults to boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Cat Addict

I see now...I still don't know why the rescue person got so upset. She definitely overreacted...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Tom Cat

That's very weird. I thought usually people who are kind hearted work at rescue places. It's very odd that she reacted that way. I wonder if maybe she is just having a bad day or maybe something is troubling her. I'm glad you found a home for the cat.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Cat

How old is she? sounds like menopause.

"Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong....because sometime in your life you will have been all of these."
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Didn't you have problems with that rescue lady before? She was planning to sell the Siamese cat. I remember you saying she sold pets before.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

She's 72 years old. My Mom thinks maybe she has demensia. SHe's been having some major issues with her memory and she thought it might be alstimers(sp?). The other thing I was thinking WAS the whole selling thing, like you said. The cat's about four years old but people sell them at that age for $150 or so still since One, hawaii's so expensive and two, there's a big shortage of pets here. So it could be either one of those things, you know? I just didn't know what to make of it. She has sold cats I've brought her before. She sold three six month old mixes for $75 a peice. The two kittens I brought her, she didn't sell. She gave them both to a good friend of hers. But I've seen her advertise to this day. I'll see if I can pull up wqhat she's selling right now...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Here's what she has listed in only one of our papers right now...

AAA Active Doberman M 1-Yr. Purebred $600. Terrier 8-Mos Male $175. Shots. "phone # here" Posted on 1/29/2006

KITTENS Orange Tabby, Tiger Stripe, Wht/Blk, Tortoise Shell shots/wrmd $75/ea. "phone # here" Posted on 1/29/2006
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 02:49 PM

I'd say that lady at the Rescue was mad because she lost the money she intended to get for that cat. Not a very nice lady in my opinion. I'm thinking the same as one of the other responses, someone who rescues animals should be a sweet person. She definately either has a mental problem or a money problem!

I have a friend watching for a kitten for me at our Rescue center and she told me of one and that i should go look quickly cause kittens are adopted pretty quickly. She also said that they wouldn't let me have it for a week, but to get my name on it. When I got there the lady in charge was anything but helpful. She made me sit waiting for a long time and finally I stood up as she came in the room and she took me in, reluctently, to see the kitten. She wouldn't let me touch it which I understood because it had ear mites. But she definately was not nice to me about the whole thing. On Monday I decided to go ahead and try another time and have it held for me. The same lady told me it was already adopted! My friend told me that was true, by that lady's neice! No wonder she didn't act very friendly to me. She already had someone in mind! So all this to say, there is usually a motive for such actions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page