Acting up at 5:00 a.m. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to akstacey88
Acting up at 5:00 a.m.

My cat male cat Scamper has been acting up latley at 5:00 in the morning. He will meow constantly and keep knocking things down in my room. He also looks up at the ceiling when he meows. This started about 2 weeks ago.

I live in a basement apartment and the people above me have a female cat. My cat is neutred, but i am unsure about the cat above me. Does anything one think the cat above me is in heat and my cat wants to get at her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:41 PM

by 5:00am mine is waking me up asking "where is my breakfast?!!!" maybe your kitty is hungry??
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Cool Cat

It's a wonder I get any sleep at all - my 9 month old is a morning boy and has the same bursts of energy at 5-6am.
And of course my other cats and I just want to sleep, so I spend half the time from 5-6 yelling at him to stop. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 PM

5am wakeup assistance by cats is a very common complaint. There are tons of suggestions on how to deal with it in other threads, so I won't repeat them again here. Hopefully one of the tips will work for you.

I wanted our cats to sleep with us, so consistently ignoring them has generally worked for us over the years. Except when my Mozart gets uber-obnoxious once in a while and starts sticking his nose into my mouth while purring (always grosses me out and guaranteed waker-upperer).

As for the cat above, hard to say if he's reacting to her if she's intact or that he's aware of her now. Can you ask your neighbor if she's fixed? I'm not sure if a snipped boy will still have heat-like reactions to her. If he's talking up a storm not just at 5am, then could be, I guess. Could also be he's figured out that's another cat up there?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

Maybe he wants to play? Do you play w/ him at night or maybe you should get him a friend to keep him company because he is bored?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to akstacey88
He always make sure he has food and fresh water before we go to bed as well as a clean litter box. So i dont think they are the reasons. He usually only meows at the ceiling at 5 am, not any other times during the day or evening. I'm going to try tiring him out before we go to bed tonight with his toys. He tends to sleep alot in the day, so he might just be an early riser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 04:24 PM

Ah yes, the 5am crazies!
Our 2 big maine coons get their burst of energy at around 5:30am wherein they run after each other like maniacs from the bedroom to the living room and back. *gallop*gallop*gallop* We live on a 3rd floor apartment and I'm sure our neighbor below us are cursing us. (We end up getting up and locking them out of the bedroom to minimize the disturbance.)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 05:15 PM

Yes mine get up and start raising havoc at that time too! gracie always knows just how to make me fly out of bed at that time. She has learned how to open my jewelry box. Theminute I hear her start playing with my necklaces it's time to get up and make the coffee!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Star has picked 5:30 am as the time that he wants to be my little love muffin. He'll jump up on the bed, walk between my husband and I while purring his little heart out, sits down next to me so I can reach up and stroke his head, and when he's sure that he's got my full attention, he then plops down next to me with his back against my chest and his head under my chin so he can give me kisses.

It's my favorite time of the day.

----------
Renée
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kitties
It's my favorite time of the day.

Mine too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page