Poorly Smudge - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Poorly Smudge

Poor old Smudge had to go to the vets this morning. At 15 she is getting on a bit now and has been losing a bit of weight and getting a bit stiff when she wakes up for some time. I've been keeping an eye on it and other than a UTI a few months ago she has seemed pretty healthy.

Yesterday I noticed a lump under her chin, it didn't seem to be attached to anything and didn't hurt her when I had a feel but I took her right down to the vets this morning for a full checkup just to be on the safeside.

She was given a very thorough examination. Certainly she has lots of pain in the middle of her spine as she actually bit me when the vet examined her there (I stroke her all the time and she has never appeared to be in pain previously - could this be new?) and she has muscle wastage in her back legs. The vet wasn't sure what the lump was but he didn't seem unduly worried (it wasn't hurting her, wasn't bleeding, wasn't in her mammary area for example) he did say the only way to really tell what it is is to remove it or do a biopsy and he was loathe at this point to give her an anathstetic because of her age.

So we are left with blood tests to try and find out the cause of the weight loss - They shaved all her neck so that they could take some blood from her jugular and I should have the results tomorrow. They are testing for all the standard illnesses such as thyroid problems, kidney or liver failure etc. Obviously I am very worried about her. I've had her forever and she has always been so healthy.

I need some positive vibes because I am getting myself in a right pickle and having all these morbid worst case thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:52 AM

Awwww, poor Smudge!! *sending good vibes your way* If it's alright with you, I'd like to keep you and Smudge in my prayers? Good luck!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Jade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Aww Poor baby. I will keep Smudge in my prayers too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, that's a shame, Stephie. Sending good thoughts and headbutts to you and Smudge.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

I hope Smudge will be alright , please keep us updated!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:23 PM

You and smudge will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hope everything turns out okay.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Cool Cat

Ahh that is sad, I hope she is okay

Shari
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Well Smudge was back at the vets this morning, the good news is that the blood tests came back clear - nothing seriously wrong. She has arthrititis but that is hardly suprising at 15. I'm going to be a little more dedicated now in giving her glucosomine.

The bad back, weight loss and muscle wastage in her legs is a worry though and the vet gave her a steroid injection today which made her vomit quite violently not long after. He tells me this should increase her appetite and generally make her feel more well. Doesn't really seem to be much of an answer. He wants to see her again in two weeks and says these injections may be the way forward but I have done a search online and there are lots of negatives to this kind of blanket administering.

Does anyone have any more information on arthritis, caring for elderly cats or side affects of steroid meds? There is so much information available it is hard to sort it all out. I have always been very happy with this vet in the past and continue to be so but I just don't feel that I got a full answer on how to best care for Smudge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page