Soft claws - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Soft claws

Well I broke down and bought new furniture. I am going to buy some soft claws in hopes that it will cut down on the clawing situation. I've tried everthing, Big Tom just has his places to scratch and I have to like it or lump it. Tom and JoJo won't be the problem with the soft claws, it will be Billie. She is one tough cookie. She fights me all the way when I'm trying to clip her claws. I usually wind up the loser. Her claws are like little needles. I'm going to try this weekend...but I don't know. She once ran up my chest and down my back claws extended, ten minutes later she was back on my lap daring me for a second round.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 PM

Could you take her to your vet and have them apply the soft claws? That way you don't get shredded.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I think my vet would do it for a price. I'll have to give it a shot myself, it could prob. get expensive.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 PM

choose your battles wisely.

My cat just peed on my carpet for the first time. I would much rather buy cheap furniture for him to rip up than pee on my carpet ... or heck rip up the furniture I do have, at least it doesn't smell!!

I clip his claws because I'm the boss!!, and hold him down hard so I can clip them. Just a tip, try not to let him see the clippers, that's what I do... I hide the clippers behind my back while I push the claw out with my other hand. When the claw is exposed, I quickly snipt i!!!

In my opinions, claws are nothing to pee I've got a new set of problems on my hands now
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 PM

We use the soft claws without a problem. Hermione has no issue with the application of them and in fact loves the time we spend with her doing them as she sees it as bonding time (PLEASE, MORE, I LOVE you humans).

Isabella is a pain in the rear and it takes two of us definitely. I have to hold her down while Tim clips her nails and then applies them. She does her low gutteral growl/meow at us the whole time but it's much better than having her tear up our new furniture.

And we only got new furniture when we could no longer have people over b/c we were so mortified by the gigantic holes in our old stuff. We are definitely an animal friendly home but at some point it's important for the people to take control

Softclaws are a good answer. I would recommend getting the colored ones that you can get online b/c they make it easier to see which ones have fallen off.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 PM

I've been pondering soft claws. They are only for front claws, right? My main concern is that the cat who would have them uses his front claws a lot. He relies on them to be there for many of his daily activities, which include climbing cat trees and swiping at cat toys. I've just been trimming his claws, which is ok but I often worry that as they get sharper he is hurting my other cat when "playing"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:01 PM

Yes, they are only for front claws. Isabella climbs a lot too but we don't have an indoor climbing tree for her. You could try a round of the soft claws and if it hinders your cat then you could just not replace the claws as they fall off.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:49 PM

I have never used them, but many say cats chew them off.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:33 AM

I love Soft Paws, and think they're great... Both my kitties used them for quite a while. That being said, I don't use them any more. Jasmine just wouldn't let me get them on her... it was far too stressful for her and me. And once I stopped using them on her, it wasn't worth keeping them on Otis either. They're both pretty good at scratching where they're supposed to, anyhow...

That being said, I still think they're wonderful. I've contemplated returning to them now that Jazzy is a little calmer... but have decided to wait until its time to buy new furniture - I'll evaluate it them....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliesmom
I have never used them, but many say cats chew them off.
Ours have never chewed them off

Wouldn't hurt to try them particularly if you have new furniture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page