3rd cat... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

3rd cat...

Over the last few months my wife has REALLLY been talking about getting another cat. Right now we have two, Tigger and Miss Kitty. Tigger is a huge male cat, weighing about 16 pounds, he's about 2 years old. He started life as an outside cat and than lived with my wifes Grandmother for a while until we got married. He's used to dogs and cats, and when we first introduced our two, we had no problems(within an hour they were playing and sleeping next to each other). Our other cat is a prissy female who does nothing unless she wants too. She's alittle over a year old, and spends the day finding ways to get Tigger to chase her around. We are trying to figure out if a male or female would fit in better, or if it would even matter. Both of our cats are good natured, they play but never really go after one another. They've never bitten us or even tried to scratch us. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Cool Cat

You could go to a pet shelter and find out which ones do get along with others and try one of them.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 09:35 AM

I honestly can't tell you from my own experience about female cats. It seems, from the experiences of my friends, that females have a little harder time ajusting to new cats but that could just be coincidence. I have 4 boys and each new addition always went well. It does depend upon the individual cats. Your cats sound pretty good natured. I would do as Cat Daddy suggested, go to the Humane Society and interact with the cats and carefully look at their histories, getting a cat that is used to other cats. I would probably get a younger one too as I think introductions are easier, not as threatening, perhaps a 4-6 month kittten. Young enough to be a kitten but old enough to do some heavy duty playing. That's just my opinion though. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 01:56 PM

I've always heard that getting an opposite sex cat helps -- but we have four girls and really didn't have much trouble getting them to get along.

I say just to go to a shelter and find a cat that is okay with other cats, and who you think will fit in best...and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page