adding an adult cat to the family... questions. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

adding an adult cat to the family... questions.

hi cat forum,

we recently lost our little girl Carmella (the gray kitty in my sig ) due to complications related to anestesia... she was almost three years old, a wonderful cat, and we miss her terribly.

my house is just full of boys now, and we are thinking about adding another girl cat to our family to restore the balance and to take away the hurt of losing our girl a little bit.

i love kittens, but im done with having a kitten for a while. our youngest, Eli, is not yet a year old and im looking forward to him growing up a bit, ha ha. we were thinking of adopting young adult cat or an older kitten, maybe six months to a year at the the youngest. my other boys are pretty social animals and they accepted Eli as a kitten within a day or two. we have also had my auntie's cat come to stay when she went out of town and my cats were fine with her in a short amount of time, though Teddy (auntie's cat) never did stop hissing... she was an only cat, though.

my questions and concerns:

will my boys accept an young cat that is not a kitten.

will a young cat be able to get used to living with my boys (and two large dogs)... if we do adopt another cat, we will take our time and make sure to find one that is familiar with other animals and not too much of a scardy cat... scardy cat would not work in my house.

any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Cat Addict

I am going through this now. I adopted Pandia a rescue at 14 months. I have a M3 a F4.M 1 at home now. I gave them 2 weeks of getting to know each other behind closed door and then about a 2" gap so they could see who is in there. Then let them meet and now she is free to go anywhere so far so good. Time & patience and it will work out. best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page