What kinds of dry / wet food to you use, if any? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via MSN to ziggystyles Send a message via Yahoo to ziggystyles
What kinds of dry / wet food to you use, if any?

Hello all,
I know this question gets asked quite often, but people change their minds from time to time, so I figured I would ask anyways.

In Las Vegas, we got our cat and the vet recommened Pro Plan, by Purina. I haven't heard anyone on here mention it though. Does anyone use it or have any thoughts about it?

Now that we are in Southern MN, I can't find any so Im using Iams Weight control (which is rather dumb because she has a bowl that is always full anyways, lol) which I think is a good choice.

I also don't feed her any wet food any more as I also don't know what is a good, easy to find brand.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Tom Cat

Wet food - Merrick (it's top quality, with no fillers or by-products)

Dry food - Wellness (again, a good qualify good, lacking corn meal and the other worthless fillers that are listed as main ingredients for most dry foods)

My vet says to emphasize the wet food and limit the dry food. Even the best dry foods contain carbohydrates as binders, and a high carbohydrate diet isn't good for cats.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I tend to buy the MOST EXPENSIVE dry food and the CHEAPEST canned food. My cats simply won't eat any canned food besides the ones made with cheap byproduct goo, and I have made peace with that since wet food is inherently better than dry food because of the low carbs and the high moisture content.

My dry food choice: Drs Foster and Smith kitten food in chicken and brown rice.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... 002+113946

My canned food choice: Hill Country Fare and Happy Tails.

My cats hate treats. Practially all the money I spent on treats was wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
I give mine dry ChickenSoup for the Cat Lover's Soul - a great food with no corn, by-products, or fillers. It's also less expensive than the other similar holistic brands - not to mention cheaper than the "premium" foods that do contain corn and/or by-products like Iams, Science Diet, and Pro Plan.

My cats do not do the quality wet foods at all, they don't like the texture or something, so they get Friskies canned. Oh well, I tried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberD
I give mine dry ChickenSoup for the Cat Lover's Soul - a great food with no corn, by-products, or fillers. It's also less expensive than the other similar holistic brands - not to mention cheaper than the "premium" foods that do contain corn and/or by-products like Iams, Science Diet, and Pro Plan.
I use this as well, wet and dry, and my cats love it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

Innova, Wellness, Natural Balance and Nutro are good healthy choices. I cannot find the top food, so we get Nutro which is better on what we used to feed which is Fancy Feast, but it also depends on your cat and what it likes to eat if it doesn't eat any of the quality foods then Fancy Feast is the next best thing that they will eat and its better then a lot of the non healthy foods. She also gets Hills because she has cardiomyopathy so that is what she is eating for dry food.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 PM

I feed my gang of seven Natural Balance dry & wet (all varieties) and Wellness wet. I also feed them Fancy Feast and Friskies (wet pouch) and regular Friskies wet 'cause they just like that darn "junk" food. I severly limit their "junk" food intake though. I've never even seen Merrick or Catfood For The Catlovers Soul where I live. They hate Nuto, won't touch it. They also get expensive deli meat from my sister, who brings it over once a week, as a treat.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:57 PM

Merrick brand canned food: www.merrickpetfood.com
Nutro Max Cat Dry food: chicken flavor
I prefer to feed food that is holistic or as close to it as possible. Merrick is great! The cats LOVE it and soon they will have a dry food line.

Avoid fish as the basis of the cat's diet because it contains a lot of ash which isn't good for your cats urinary tract in the long run and males are more suseptible to Urinary Tract Infections.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:06 PM

Another vote for Merricks!

For some unkown reason, Ginger throws up every other time I feed her Wellness dry(chicken) but she loves Royal Canin Special33 dry.

Dan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:09 PM

One of my cats throws up with canned wellness too. Don't know why. Works for some cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page