Your outdoor-roaming/indoor cat "neighborhood" ter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Your outdoor-roaming/indoor cat "neighborhood" ter

At my mom's home, a domestic blue seal/snowshoe cat, Freaky, is usally outdoors all the time but indoors when eating or sleeping. Before i got freaky, i have seen most cat roaming in the neighborhood, but after Freaky started going out and coming back, and has been going on for 2 years i havent seen other roaming cats in the neighborhood with the exception of 2 toms that i know in the area. I have seen Freaky wander as far as a mile or 2 from home. She is agressively terrorital of her house lot, the piece of land the house is on, she would chase other feline trespasser off the terrority as well as 4 to 5 houses radius (probably the entire subdivision). SHe even chases other cats off of other people's property. Is it possible for a "cat hirearchy" in a neighborhood?

I have been observant of Freaky for some time now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:22 AM

Yeah totally. I happen to know this because it seems that my two babies are bottom of this hierarchy. As I work a lot from home I watch to see how the dynamics seem to work. There are a certain few cats, generally huge toms, who seem to have total control over the rest of the cats in the area, they even come into our house and bully our babies into a corner (I’m going to start a new thread about that though). So yeah, I guess the only explanation is a cat hierarchy, that works the same as it would in a household.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:34 PM

Our female cat Mitsie who was big at 13 lbs. would chase every cat away from our yard and even the neighbors. Guess she justdidn't liked other cats. She even took on a large tom and beat the living crap out of it. I guess she figured the whole neighborhood was her domain..00000000000000000000000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Premier Cat

Oh yes. Our cat Rif-raf, who was an absolute love bug and never had an agressive bone in his body, used to chase any other cats off our land. He had spent his entire life as an indoor only cat in our apartment. When we moved we kept the cats in for couple of weeks and then started slowly letting them out. On his very first time out we were amazed when when Rif-raf walked the perimiter of the entire 16 acres (how on earth did he know the EXACT property line??!!) and marked his territory. He had never marked ANYTHING before! From that day on it was HIS! No one crossed the line. Even the neighbours 60 pound dog Muffy! Rif-raf would sit on the porch and watch Muffy and her owner take their daily walk. If Muffy stepped one foot on the property Rif would take off at her like a bat out of ****. It was hysterical. Muffy soon learned never to step out of bounds. He would touch noses with the deer though. Go figure.
He was the greatest cat!

Victoria
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Yours sounds just like our Mitsie. Sure do miss her. Even though it's been 9 weeks since she passed on, I still catch myself looking outside for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page