anyone know of a way to train your cat to use the toilet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

anyone know of a way to train your cat to use the toilet?

I've heard of quite a few people doing this, but i'm not sure how to go about it... my girlfriends cat has a tendancy to drink a lot of water, and pee a lot. She's done it since she was a kitten. the problem is that her pee smells VERY strongly of ammonia, so it stinks up any room that the litterbox is in horribly. anyone know of any tips on getting a cat to try peeing in the toilet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:59 AM

Use a better premium clumping litter, i found, by my personal opinion, Arm and Hammer Litter pretty good, no dust or any odor, if you use a covered litterbox, or from what i have been hearing, worlds best cat litter. But here's a trick to make a litter smelling clean, put 2 or 3 cups of baking soda and mix it with the litter, it'll soak up the smell, and seems, but i might be wrong, improves clumping power for urine and seems to contain the smell.

maybe something is wrong with your cat's diet/food.

BUT i have heard of training your cat to take its business to the toilet. It was featured in Maxim magazine, it was kinda weird to find a cat tip in a men's magazine. If you have more than 2 bathrooms it is worth the trick if you have to give up that bathroom for the cat.

I remember it quite well.

Before doing this put the litter box in the bathroom you are using so the cat will know where to take its business. You might have to place it a week or 2 maybe more before the actual training so the cat will be accustomed to the bathroom.

1. For the first week or two place the litter box on top of the toilet, seat down/cover up. (I dont think it makes a difference but try first week covered and 2nd week seat cover up)

2. 3rd week - 4th week (if cat is picking up exceptionally well)
Use cling wrap to wrap the seat (cover up) make sure it has slack to hold the litter (fair amount) Poke some thin holes for some urine to get thru. Gradually reduce the amount of litter. Observe the cat to see if it is comfortable with the seat.

4. After the cat is confidence with the toliet techinque, put some litter in a ziploc bag with some holes (placed behind the toliet seat, the gap between the seat and the tank ) so the cat can smell the litter, if the training pays off, your cat will be actually using the toliet instead of a litter box. Try training your cat to flush! that would be an added bonus!! lol

Important things you should do:

Be sure the bathroom that you are using for training is undisturbed until training is complete or try to get the cat used to people during their elimination. but people dont stay in bathroom all day do they? That means you gotta sacrifice your bathroom for a month or more.

Also observe how your cat does its business, it should be sitting on the seat the way we do. I think it shouldnt be a problem for females, but i have never seen a male cat pee. not sure if its the same direction as females pee, but do expect some urine splatter from time to time.

And most importantly be patient!!!

Let us know how it works out!!!

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:11 AM
Tom Cat

Sounds like a tough task. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:13 PM

There a yahoo group just for this here is the link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CatsT-Training/
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 PM

There's a product available here in Australia called Litter Kwitter, which goes through 3 different stages to teach your cat to use the toilet. Its $120AUD and I'm thinking of buying it to try with Denzel.

www.litterkwitter.com.au
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Don't recommend using a toilet because what if something happened and the cat only had to use the litter box .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 03:40 AM
ZAR
Cool Cat

Seriously, don't try and do that, they could fall down there. Thats what happened to one of my friends cats in the night and they flushed the chain and lucky they could get the cat out. Also you don't want your cat using the toliet you use, thats what litter trays are for. Try and put it in another room.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:55 PM

They make a toliet seat cover at pet stores that is a training for pets, I have never used it so I don't know how well it works.

I use wheat litter and sprinkle in baking soda and that works well to cover ammonia and clean often. Corn or anything that is not clay tends to hide ammonia better, and its healthy than clay. Clay isn't the best for injestion. Automatic cleaning litterboxes I have heard are great, but they are really pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page