Cat Forum banner

Cats and long ride.

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  joliesmom 
#1 ·
I have two kittys, one he does ok and the other he needs to be put in the carrier and even then he moews and carries on in the car. I was thinking of getting him sedated, But is there anything else I can use instead of getting him sedated?

#8 ·
This is what I did when I moved from Vegas to MN.

We had a large Penske rental truck....you know...one of those long 24 footers? I just tossed her in the back and shut the door.

Just kidding!

I had one cage that I found somewhere a while back and I put her in it in my apartment when I was taking stuff out. She was...ok with that I think. The thing is that it was too big to put in the truck up in the cabin. So...I just had a pillow and a blanket for her and put her up there, free to roam with me. I had her on some kitty drugs so she wouldnt freak out that much and it worked out pretty well I think. By the third day, she was sleeping right by my side. It was akward for her...I think she wanted to look outside, but there wasnt anyplace for her to really see and be comfy...so for the trip while she was awake...she just laid there in tha sphynx position with her head up.

The only problem was that she sleeped so much, she went on a sugar buzz all night long in the hotel. The second hotel we stayed at....there was a huge thunderstorm and she freaked out...never really any big storms in Vegas...at least not for the year and a half she was alive up to then.

The truck had big bench seats so I put a litter box underneath the passenger side and I put her food and water bowls under my side. I dont really know if she ever ate or drank anything during those three days...but she was perfectly fine when we got to the new place.

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
There is something called Rescue Remedy that you can find at natural foods or co-op grocery stores. You give you cat 2-3 drops at least 40 minutes prior to the trip and it calms them and they usually are drousy the trip. I have used it on both of my cats: 2 drops for a 7lb cat and 10 lb cat for a 5-hour trip. Wants it starts to wear off put another 2-3 drops depending on the length of your trip and how well it works on your cat.
It is a small droplet bottle that comes in a yellow box. It costs around $10, but well worth it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.