Merrick - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Merrick

I took some of your ideas and decided to change my cats food from science diet to something healthier.

I purchased Merrick canned food and my cats seem to love it. I also bought chicken soup for cats dry food.

Are these two foods good? They are somewhat costly but it is worth it if they are good.

Also any ideas on feeding them the raw food diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:06 PM

Those are excellent choices. I know very little of raw food with the exception that I tried a couple times to give my cats raw meat....no way would they touch it but then again, I didn't try that hard either. Like any change, cats often need patience and time. I'm happy to give my cats quality canned and dry food.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:58 PM

I tried the raw diet and it just didn't work with my gang. I used to have one cat that liked raw fillet steak if I shaved it really thin. It was just a treat for her though. I remember reading how raw feeders gave their cats raw chicken necks. I have no idea where one would get chicken necks except maybe from a butcher shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:09 PM

Merrick dry for cats to be released

Merrick is planning on releasing a dry food line for cats. We have been waiting since last year. We check their web site frequently, but it keeps getting postponed to another season. So, we have no idea when it comes out, but we can't wait since our cats love the cat food. Right now they eat Merrick canned food and Nutro Max Cat Chicken dry.
Although our cats do not like all the flavors of the canned food. I hear most cats (and mine) do not like these flavors: Turducken, California Roll, and New England Broil.

They altimate favorite is Thanksgiving Dinner. I haven't tried the brand new flavor Ocean Breeze because I haven't found it in a store yet.
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Tom Cat

I feed Merrick to both my cat and dog, mixed with a little bit of Wellness dry food and 2X per day.

There's no doubt in my mind that these 2 animals eat a more healthful and well-balanced diet than I ever will! My own eating habits are horrific...it's not unusual for me to go days and days without eating anything.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:19 PM

Wellness is a great brand, but it makes one of my cats throw up, so I don't use it. But others rave about it and Innova also.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:02 PM

Of the 7 or 8 premium canned foods I've tried for Ginger, Merricks is the BEST. She eats all of their different formulas including the new "Ocean Breeze". There are chunks of salmon, chicken, shrimp, lobster , turkey, duck, beef, etc, in their formulas and that is very impressive IMO.

Dan
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Merrick and Chicken Soup are excellent choices

I feed Nya and Buddy raw. Most of the time they get a mince up "complete" diet (that has muscle meat, organs, bone and veggies all minced together) but about once a week they get a "meat on bone" meal. Often it's quail, tonight it was chicken necks, as these are the easiest for me to find.

If you have any specific questions about raw, feel free to PM me. I LOVE how it's worked out for my two, as they were rather sickly cats before, and we havn't been to the vets ONCE since the switch!!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:46 PM

My cats LOVE Merrick's wet food -- it's a bit more expensive than other foods but I load up on them every two weeks and my four girls get two of the small cans a day. I'd give them that over the cheap stuff anyday.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:59 PM

merrick and chicken soup is exactly the diet my two are on. Both are in excellent health and very active. They love the merrick (we buy grammys pot pie, turkduckin, and cowboy cookout... all three big hits) and we give the chicken soup only in the mornings (and not a lot as doogie has been getting chubby and sheba doesn't really like dry). It's about .89 for a 5.5 oz can of merrick here, and quality wise, it's worth it. Both have healthy shiny coats and since we've had doogie, his amount of shedding has been greatly reduced (I think b/c of a good diet).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page