my cat is obsessed with food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

my cat is obsessed with food

Yes, the title says it all. He loves his wet food and I normally say "want some food?" before I give it to him and he just goes nuts. That's not the problem, the problem is all the other times he basically begs me to feed him. He stands by the fridge and meows and looks cute. The thing is, this happens all the time and it's starting to drive me nuts. He is just the right weight and he gets plenty of food (there is also dry food out for him).

any tips to make him less obsessed? Or can anyone relate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Cool Cat

Yep, I relate. I have one who absolutely cannot stop eating until ALL the food is gone. When we had dry food, she used to open latched cupboards, chew holes in the bags, then gorge and throw up all over the house until someone stopped her. In the first six months we had her, she was free-fed, and she doubled her weight (7 to 14 pounds). After several years of strict control, she's back down around 10 pounds.

But she still begs for food constantly, and gets very upset if she's ignored, especially when there's Chinese takeout involved:

The only way to have a chance of reducing begging is by not giving in. I read somewhere that dogs will keep begging if they get food 1 out of 20 times...so I try to feed in those moments where the cat is NOT bugging me for food, just so she doesn't get the gratification.

And here's something bizarre that's recently happened. After supper, Assumpta gets a bedtime snack around 9PM. She used to bug us all evening, running into the kitchen whenever one of us moved. It all changed when we started watching CSI (this is so weird). We's shut off the TV and feed her when it ended at 9, and she started jumping up and running to the kitchen as soon as the TV went off...Okay, I can understand that (and it is sooooo funny to watch, the TV clicks off, and she jumps about three feet in the air and gallops out to the kitchen meowing at the top of her voice). But the other day, I was listening to the radio, and they were playing "Who Are You" by The Who (the show's theme song), and the next thing I know, Assumpta is sitting right next to me with her big eyes and kibble face on, waiting for me to feed her.

I'm sorry...but THAT really blew my mind. Talk about classical conditioning! I've also used the word "kibble" exclusively for food (and she will come running whenever she hears it, even as part of normal conversation (so if we're not feeding her, we have to use the phrase "The K Word" instead...also, she knows the difference between "Kibble" and "Jimmy Kimmel," which is fun for impressing guests)...but I've made that her "recall" word in case I ever have to track her down quickly.

But yes, she's food-obsessed, I just try to use it to my advantage when I can.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Oh geez, can you ever relate! Your case sounds a lot worse than what's happening with twinkie. It's funny that your cat recognizes the song and gets eager for food. If I fed twinkie everytime he wanted to be fed he'd be 20 pounds by now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
And here's something bizarre that's recently happened. After supper, Assumpta gets a bedtime snack around 9PM. She used to bug us all evening, running into the kitchen whenever one of us moved. It all changed when we started watching CSI (this is so weird). We's shut off the TV and feed her when it ended at 9, and she started jumping up and running to the kitchen as soon as the TV went off...Okay, I can understand that (and it is sooooo funny to watch, the TV clicks off, and she jumps about three feet in the air and gallops out to the kitchen meowing at the top of her voice). But the other day, I was listening to the radio, and they were playing "Who Are You" by The Who (the show's theme song), and the next thing I know, Assumpta is sitting right next to me with her big eyes and kibble face on, waiting for me to feed her.
That is so cute. She is such a handful. I Love your Assumpta stories. What a cat
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Cool Cat

Food obsesses

Yes, I can relate !
Jimmy seems to be getting worse recently as well. He seems to think that whenever either of us walks through the door that is a cue to be fed.
I think Partner gives in to him too much. When he last went to the vet (about a month ago) they said he was at the top of the healthy weight range for a cat of his size. But I'm sure he's put on a bit more since then.

I suppose the answer is to feed when the cat is NOT bugging you, as Gudewife says. But the only time he isn't bugging us is when he's asleep!

seashell
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
That is so cute. She is such a handful. I Love your Assumpta stories. What a cat
She's more like a couple of handfuls. She's just so cute that you can't get mad at her (I think she takes special classes and seminars in cuteness). She'll just sit next to you, put a paw on your arm, and stare with the saddest, biggest eyes she can muster. If my husband eats in the living room, she'll sit on the arm of the couch with one paw on his shoulder...then two paws on his shoulder...then eventually she ends up sitting on his shoulders as shown in the picture. She Who Will Not Be Forgotten.

But I figured that I'd teach her to come running when she hears the word "Kibble!" so if she ever got outside, I might be able to troll her out; and I can already get her from any part of the house at a full run that way. Might as well use what we have to our advantage, since it seems unlikely that we're going to change her.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:53 AM

That Assumpta picture is hilarious! And the CSI story is just as funny.

I, too, have a yowling, meowing, wreck of a cat. She starts as soon as we get up in the morning and will not quit until we feed her. As h as been metioned, I ignore her until she stops this behavior and then feed her. Raising dogs all my life has taught me that giving in to begging only begets more begging.

Hermione is so cute, though, b/c once she eats she will come over to us, settle in our laps and just love on us in pure appreciation.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:03 PM

When we first adopted Orion, he ate so much! I think that was because he was in a foster home with many cats and he is submissive towards other cats. I think he felt deprived before. So, we didn't want him to get obese so we regulate his portions and put him on lite food just to be safe. He gets 3/4 cup dry food twice a day and 1/4 of a small can of canned food every other day. He has stayed at 12 pounds. Soon, he started to not care too much about eating all the time and now I can put both scoops of dry out for the entire day and sometimes he eats it all and sometimes there is still some the next day. I think it is also habit for the cats to want to eat so much.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 11:23 AM

Our Doogie is the same way. Actually, I was about to post something about it!!
Both of our cats are former strays, but with Sheba, she eats until she is full, and then stops. Before we got doogie we would just leave dry food out for her to free feed, because she barely ever ate it anyway--she loved the wet food and almost never touched any dry. Plus, she has always been tiny (extremely underweight when we first got her) so we figured the dry free feeding couldn't hurt.
Then along came doogie. He would eat and eat and eat if we let him. We have actually had to start separating them during feeding times because doogie would gobble down his wet food (and crunchies when we give them to him) and then push sheba over to eat her food. For a while I thought maybe we were under feeding him, and he needed more, so we upped his amount, but for a while he was getting too chubby and he still begged for food all day long--so conclusion--doogie will always have the alley cat mentality and eat and eat whenever there is food. I am pretty convinced that he was so healthy when we got him because he is a scavenger.

We can not leave anything out with him--he had chewed through bags of treats and eaten them all (this is actually a normal occurance--if we accidentally leave the cupboard with treats open, he finds them, and eats them all.) We left a bag of muffins out the other day--chewed through the bag and ate the muffins. He will literally do it with anything edible--and probably many things that aren't.
Our only solution--keep all food locked up--tightly!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Yes! My little cat she would find the bag of treats anywhere they were placed. On top of the fridge, it high cabinets, she would get it open! So I put the treats in the tiny storage containers and she can't smell them to find the treats. But since we have an array of treats for our cats, birds, and hamsters, I put them all in a small plastic storage box and put them on top of the fridge. No kitty has found it yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page