Where to put all their things? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Where to put all their things?

I am hoping to get a pair of rescue cats in a couple of months, and hoped you guys could give a novice some advice!

I'm guessing I'll need a couple of litter trays, food bowls, somewhere for them to sleep etc, but I dont know how to arrange all this stuff so they'll feel most comfortable. Do litter trays have to be away from beds and food? What are some good tips on placing litter trays? In a house with several doors, how do I make sure they have access to everything without creating a gale blowing through the house!?

Sorry if these are obvious questions, I'm new to this and don't want to get it wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 03:33 PM

Re: Where to put all their things?

For four cats, I have one big litter box, which I change every two weeks. So I think you only really need one, unless you have two floors -- if you do, I've heard it's good to have one on each floor. Definitely keep beds and litter trays away from the potty. I feed our kitties in the kitchen. In the living room they have a few beds and scratching posts to climb and scratch on, and in the bedroom they have beds as well.

If you have a house with lots of doors, maybe set up one area that will be their living area and keep all of their stuff there. It's hard to say without seeing your house.

Edited to say that I live in a one bedroom apartment...just so you know my size compared to yours.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 03:47 PM

Hello

Most people recommend getting one litter box for every cat +1, but I have two cats and two works fine. One for both might be ok but I have noticed that often hiarchy gets invoved and one wont let the other use the litter box (this is especially true for two cats that dont know each other). Cats do not like having there litter box where they eat, and they like to have it in a quiet place where there is not a lot of traffic. I would recommend putting it in a washroom or basement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:34 PM

For two cats (from experience and rescue organization experience) I would say buy a large litter box (they call them extra giant on some), I perfer covered with out the flapping door because it is less mess.

Food/Water Bowls:
Yes, at least a small bowl for each of them, because cats tend to eat at the same time, not always though. Cats (males especially) should not eat a lot of fish because it contains a lot of ash. Poultry is great. Water Bowl: One bigger water bowl or two small ones are good. I have a fountain waterer because I don't have to fill it up as often. I bought the small, but wish I got the medium sized one. I was surprised on how much water cats drink.

Beds: There is a bed called Bed Buddies Fleece Donut Pet Bed at Petco, cats love those, sometimes more than the coushy ones. Placement is trial and error. You never know what spot is best for the cats, but if you keep moving it around you will find what they like. I move the beds on occasion because my cats think it is new just because its in another spot and they lay in it a lot that day. I have a 2 yr old and a 9 mo old so I have a comfy bed, a donut bed, an enclosed tent shaped bed and one of the enclosed square style ones. It is just preference and likes. You never know what you cat will like, but the rescue may know what the individual cat has been sleeping in, especially if it was fostered. If you bring you adoption agreement from an animal rescue, most Petco's offer a coupon book with some great savings in there!!!

Litter Boxes:
Litter boxes need to be away from food and water especially because of feces and cats scratch at the litter and particles fly everywhere and into the food and water. A bed could be there, but its better not to. Many people put litter boxes in a bathroom, laundry room, or closet. They do sell covers so you can have them among your furniture and no one is the wiser, but they are pricey. I personally don't like it in the bedroom because cats tend to poo at night and the smell can wake you up! If you don't want to take frequent trips to the garbage (two cats go a lot!) there is a litter locker (almost like a diaper genie for baby diapers-which is great!) or if you can afford to purchase an automatic litter box those are great ($100+)! I don't have one, but I want one!

Litter: clay litter isn't the healthiest for both cats and humans to breathe in. Try to look for corn, wheat, or some other product not containing clay. We use Swheat and I love it.

OTHER:
Note: if you adopt kittens, many kittens don't like catnip until they start to reach a year or older, so they may or may not play with catnip toys, but toys with strings on them are great as well as, mice and balls.

Note: Males tend to be more outgoing/social than females, so two males are great or one of each, so you have a little of both worlds (I have one of each). It's up to your own preference of course. Siblings are the easiest if you are lucky to find a pair you fall in love with.

A lot of info, but I thought that it would be helpful since you will be a first time adopter. Have fun!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:05 PM

Great info, joliesmom!

Also, I wanted to add that we use Fresh Step Crystals and one bag lasts us about two weeks for four cats -- it has a nice smell and it's very easy to clean, just scoop the poop and flush. I highly recommend it -- they always have it on sale at Target -- it's the blue bag with the blue and clear crystals.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:43 PM

Denzel's litter is in the bathroom and he eats and drinks in the kitchen.

With his bed I waited until he found a spot that he liked to sleep in and then I set up his bed. He kept jumping up on top of my wardrobe to sleep, so his little bed is up there now. I think he likes it because he's up high, safe and can see everything. Except now in summer he sleeps in the shower because the tiles are cool.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashka
Denzel's litter is in the bathroom and he eats and drinks in the kitchen.

With his bed I waited until he found a spot that he liked to sleep in and then I set up his bed. He kept jumping up on top of my wardrobe to sleep, so his little bed is up there now. I think he likes it because he's up high, safe and can see everything. Except now in summer he sleeps in the shower because the tiles are cool.
Yup, you can put the bed where YOU like it...but your kitty will decide.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:49 PM

Exactly. I did try to set his bed up where I wanted but he laughed at my suggestions
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys - lots of great information and tips, and now I realise how much the cats will let me know what they want too!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:54 PM
ZAR
Cool Cat

Bowls: In kitchen.
Litter Tray: In Kitchen
Bed: In a bedroom

(Thats they layout I have for Cortia)

It works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page