Depriving our girls? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Depriving our girls?

I assume all of you female cat owners have spayed your cats when you got them. But today I had a thought i asked myself if cat mothers have an emotional connection to their kittens? if yes, then when we spay our little ones, do we deprive them of that joy?

I know this is lame/corny/stupid but i still wanted to post it

any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think its stupid or lame. The topic has certainly been addressed before. I don't think there is any doubt that mother cats get joy and an emotional connection with their kittens, be we need to remember the overpopuation problem. By allowing female cats to produce a litter, it means that many more kittens that need a home. These kittens would be competing with many, many homeless kittens and cats.

Besides, they wouldn't miss what they never realise is possible.

My cat was spayed when she was six months old. I have certainly looked at her and wondered what her kittens would have looked like. I have no doubt they would have been beautiful. I think we all look at our gorgeous cats and wonder what if?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

If my parents would have allowed it, I would have kept the litter. But at only 5 months!! my Neko got pregnant, and she was just a baby herself so we spayed her. (she was only about 1-2 days pregnant when we spayed her)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:00 PM

I wonder sometimes too if Daizy would be a good mother. And then I think, "Oh man, there could be 4-5 little Daizy's running around and I am glad that I had her spayed." Now I love my cat to death and would do anything for her but the mold was broken when she was born. And besides having her spayed gives other cats/kittens options to be adopted and it decreases the population a little. my 2 cents!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 05:25 PM
ZAR
Cool Cat

Well, its fair and its not fair. Cortia was a mother, she was a wild cat, but very friendly, well to me and my family, she had kittens years ago, when we got her she was sprayed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
In my opinion, I think if you get a cat who is already pregnant, you should let her continue with the pregnancy, then have her spayed after her kittens are weaned. But if you get a cat who isn't pregnant, but not spayed either, then you should do the responsible thing and have her spayed.

If we had had Midnight spayed as soon as she came to us, we'd have never known the joy of her boys, Star and Lucky. I'd have never known the heartbreak of the two stillborns, the joy of hearing Star mewling as he was born and the fear, then triumph of Lucky breathing on his own. As it was, we had no clue that she was pregnant and we had had her for only two weeks when her babies were born.

----------
Renée
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:30 PM

When we got my cat Cleo, she was pregnant (which was unknown to us). When we took her to the vet to get her spayed is when we realized! We decided to let her have her babies as she was kind of laate in the pregnancy. Having kittens was an absolutly wonderful expierience!!!!! It was so joyful. It really was a bright spot in my life. Cleo was a (pretty) good mother (she seemed to have problems picking them up, lol. Whenever she did they were dragging and mewing) but when it was time to wean them we could tell she was a bit annoyed at them becasue they were so playful and would attack her tail and leap on her. One kitten moved a couple doors down and Cleo and her became good pals
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Cat Addict

well maybe like me there are kittys that just want to love other kittys not have their own. Great question!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:47 PM

Cats, like all animals, are instinctively mothers. Meaning they know that they are supposed to do it. Saying that they get "joy" out of it, though, is ascribing human emotion to the experience. Yes, some animals are better at mothering than others, just as some animals are better hunters, runners, climbers, etc.

Cats have no idea that you have taken away their ability to be a mother and for them it's a biological experience, not a psychosocial one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page