Grotesque cat lady discovered here - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Grotesque cat lady discovered here

This story is in my local paper today:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/i ... ntid=75142

Pretty disturbing. More disturbing, however, is the thought of 42 more cats at the local humane society. This is not a no-kill humane society here. I am thinking about heading over there to see if/how I can help, but the fact that it's not no-kill really bothers me.

Of course, I did get both of my wonderful cats there.

I really hope they don't let this lady keep any of her cats, unless it's between that or the needle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
"It's sometimes hard to keep count," said Rettig, 48, a part-time college student who is unemployed. "They move so fast."
You've GOT to be kidding me!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Tom Cat

Sadly, these "cat hoarder" stories aren't all that uncommon. From what I've read, it's uncontrollable obsessive/compulsive behavior. These people don't mean to harm cats -- actually, they love cats and intend to help them -- but some of the outcomes are horrific. Usually, authorities learn about a problem when neighbors complain about how badly a house smells.

I find it interesting that "cat hoarders" are almost always female. The disorder doesn't seem to affect very many men.

Lori F. is owned by:
Sadie, the four-legged dog
Martin, the three-legged cat
Paul, the two-legged husband
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
According to her, the kittens are spayed/neutered and declawed. I would be very surprised if the human society put them to sleep.....usually they euthanize them because they don't think the money spent to spay/neuter them would pay off.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Hmm! I thought she said she initially had 2 and then they reproduced like rabbits until there were 42... misread it I guess.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:52 PM

I'd take some cat food to the shelter, and some litter. We had a couple here in upstate SC that had I think 195 cats and dogs at/in their house when they got busted after their meth lab caused a big fire. The shelter that took them all in immediately put out a request through the media that donations of food, litter and bedding were needed. I took them 100lbs. of dog food, 40lbs. of cat food and old bedding I didn't need anymore. Even if the shelter there in Madison doesn't advertise the need for supplies anything you donate certainly will help ease the pressure they're feeling.
BTW, all the healthy animals from the meth lab house were adopted out, since the couple who lived there went to prison.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
Hmm! I thought she said she initially had 2 and then they reproduced like rabbits until there were 42... misread it I guess.
You didn't read it wrong, it says she started with one male and one female and then kittens started...

(edited: re-read the story)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxnKats
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
You didn't read it wrong, it says she started with one male and one female and then kittens started...I didn't read anywhere that said they were spayed/neutered and declawed?? Only thing said was that the cats were overall in good condition..
Here's what the article said:

Quote:
Rettig, who has never married, said she and her mother gradually had the cats spayed and neutered and declawed. The last kittens were born in 2003.

----------
Renée
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:46 PM

Yes Its quite commen actually. I feel so bad for those poor cats ...

There was a similar case at a house a block away from mine. The elderly lady had about 40 cats. I was young so I cant really remember the details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page