brushing a cats teeth - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

brushing a cats teeth

my cat Dill is 2 years old and his breath is absolutly horrible.. he wants to snuggle and cuddle with me but i cant stand his breath anymore. i've heard that it can be done with toothpaste but im not sure if thats ok. any suggestions on how to do it and what i can use..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:30 AM

I would not use toothpaste for humans. It may be toxic to animals. You can purchase toothpaste for cats from your vet (it costs about $5). My cat had really bad breathe too and he was drooling so I took him to the vet and found out that he had really bad tooth disease and had to have 3 of his teeth pulled. So the sooner you start getting those teeth brushed, the more teeth he will get to keep!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

i didnt know that they made toothpaste for cats.. i'll check that out.. thank you so much..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:22 PM

CET Dental has great products -- I used their poultry flavored toothpaste, my cats like the taste of it. This is where I buy it from, they have good prices and they ship fast:

http://www.petsnmore.com/cet.asp
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Ewwwwww. Poultry flavoured toothpaste!? You wouldn't want to get that confused with your own after a heavy night.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
Ewwwwww. Poultry flavoured toothpaste!? You wouldn't want to get that confused with your own after a heavy night.
lol, I have the kitty toothbrush and toothpaste in the holder with ours and visitors find it funny.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks so much for that site... i ordered the poultry toothapaste and a toothbrush.... ur right... the prices were surprisingly low! THANKS!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeka
thanks so much for that site... i ordered the poultry toothapaste and a toothbrush.... ur right... the prices were surprisingly low! THANKS!!
Not a problem, anything I can do to help.

When you brush their teeth, I suggest wrapping them in a towel and holding them in your lap, facing you. Have toothpaste on the toothbrush and let them smell it -- and I guarantee they'll lick it, they love the taste. Then pull back their lips and brush. It'll take a bit for them to get used to it, start slow...but the towel method works for me for three of mine. Minnie, our laid back kitty, just sits on the counter and lets me do it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 09:34 PM

Toothpaste for pets is best, not the stuff for humans. There is controversy on whether to floride or not. We don't to be safe. Our cats enjoy the malt flavor but not the teeth brushing, but we want their teeth to be healthy!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliesmom
There is controversy on whether to floride or not.
Not!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page