freaked out because of clinic smells? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

freaked out because of clinic smells?

andre and twix are brothers. twix always loses control when he is taken to the vet. one time they had to gas him because he was biting everyone, and last time he needed a sedative so he would be calmer. today we took andre into the vet for a checkover because he is losing fur. we got back an hour ago. when we let andre out of the carrier, twix came over. when he got near andre he started hissing loudly and laying back his ears. we put him in my sisters room with food, water, and a litter pan while we went to dinner. we just got back from dinner, and let twix out. the minute he saw andre he started hissing again, just as bad as before. he is back in my sisters room. what can we do to stop this? is twix freaking out because he smells the clinic, which he hates? does andre smell different and twix doesnt recognize him anymore? any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Cool Cat

Try putting a drop of vanilla extract on the back of each one's neck. If Twix hates the vet's that much, it could be the smell he's reacting to, and making them both smell the same might confuse them enough to let them get along. I did actually use this idea once on a cage full of shelter cats who were upset by a smelly new cat (he had been found by the police, doused in kerosene and taped in a box, and even after several baths, he still smelled "funny" to other cats). I gave them all liberal doses of vanilla, and things *did* calm down a bit, at least long enough for then to figure out he was just stinky and not a threat. No best friends came of it, but they did calm down. (BTW, kerosene kitty is just fine and living in a new home )

Usually such things work themselves out with time and space, but in extreme cases, you may need to re-introduce them gradually, as if they were strange cats meeting for the first time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Cool Cat

I've noticed that catnip seems to make agitated cats more agitated and fearful cats more fearful (and I can vouch that it makes my nutcase biter more mouthy and quick to strike) I read an article about this a while back and discussed it with the shelter manager, and all the catnip toys had mysteriously disappeared by the following week. I've noticed that my cage of psycho-kitties (the ones who can't deal with people) have done much better since then, and introduction of new cats has seemed to go more smoothly more of the time.

Just anecdotal evidence, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

I think it's the dog smell. When I take my cats to a small-animal vet, they get all worked up. When I take them to a cats-only vet, then they're fine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Senior Cat

My parents cat has to have a sedative before going to the vet. One of the vets hurt her once (by accident) and ever since then she lashes out at everynoe at the office. So the vet will give my mom a sedative to give to her before they head over. That way Fidget can get her shots and her dry skin treatment without incident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page