8 month old kitten refuses to wear collar - help? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

8 month old kitten refuses to wear collar - help?

Now that my 8 month old kitten, Gretchen, has a big enough neck to wear a collar, it's been rough going getting her to wear one. I have two cats, and Lavender (10 months) LOVES her collar. I got them about five months ago, and Lavender has been fine with a collar all along. Gretchen was so painfully shy when I brought her home that it took almost two weeks for her to come out from underneath my bed. She's great now, with me, and she's just now getting to warm up to visitors, but they still make her nervous. I really want them both to be wearing collars with my phone number on it just in case. I live in a secure apartment complex, but my roommate can be so absentminded sometimes that he will leave the door open and they go out and have a field day in the hall. Plus the neighbors take them sometimes if I have to go somewhere for the weekend, and I just want to be safe.

Anyway - here's what happens: I will put the collar on Gretchen, and she will immediately go hide under my dining room table for at least an hour. When she comes out, she is NOT herself at all... she moves very slowly and if I pick her up to try and comfort her, it doesn't work, so I will put her down and she will stay in that spot and not move. I don't really know what to do. I'm wondering if I should just leave it on and eventually she will be fine? I've been taking it off because I'm not sure what the best thing would be and I don't want to traumatize her or anything!

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:17 AM

I would leave it on her and make her accept it. It doesn't seem like it's uncomfortable to her, she's not pulling at it. I'm assuming it's a comfort thing -- she feels out of her element with it on. I'd put it on her for periods of time, increasing them each day. Encourage her to play, eat, use the litter box, etc. when she has it on so she starts to become more comfortable. It may take some time but I bet she'll come around.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 10:45 PM

Ditto to the above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 11:11 AM

mayb u shud try taking the colar and try makn her feel more comfortable with it by not actually putting it on her at first but mayb just having her play with it and then start to put it on her shel think of it as something fun and she probably wont mind it. GOOD LUCK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page